MXA Mag showing the yzf some love

Love them or hate them, MXA  gives the best shootouts, IMO.  

So, the bridesmaid in the 2014 class of 250F's is the yamaha.  MXA can't shake their manlove for the KXF but the yzf moved from last to 2nd in 1 year.!

After reading the individual category scores, the yzf would be 1st in my eyes. 

I want one!

Nice. Can't wait to pick up the issue. That was the shootout I was waiting for. I'm not surprised that the Kawi won, it is a great bike and I have wanted one for some time now. I just have had nothing but great experiences with Yamahas over the years, so I would be very hesitant to change brands. Nice to see the YZF getting some props from them, however. 

Buddy just got the '14 (actually pickin it up tonight i think he said)...sob. Only part of it I am not jealous about...is a dirt bike payment, haha. Not sure id want one of those...nor do I think the 14 would make me any faster to justify it. However, itd be nice to have a FRESH bike...so, thats where its worth it for some. I know hes said in the past he prefers to just buy a new one every season or two to avoid the longer term needs of holding onto them for 3-4-5yrs. Def a to each their own sorta thing. Nice to see them climb back up though...

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF
  • Like 1

I owned a 2013 KXF250 and had the suspension done at MB1. I hated that bike because it did not handle for crap. The motor was solid but that was it. 

I'm sure the KX isn't a precise handler like some of the other bikes. I think some of it is a rider's style of cornering. I know a bunch of guys on newer KX250Fs and many of them say it's the best race bike in the class, fav bike they ever owned etc. That's coming from some fairly fast guys in my area. I talked to a guy a couple weeks ago that had similar opinion as you though. I only know 2 guys that have the 14 YZ and 1 guy loves it and the other hasn't ridden it enough to get it dialed in. 

J YZ2fittyf, I def know what you mean. I usually go new every 2-3yrs. Like I said, I have been considering the KX since 13 and now the new Yam too, if I get a new bike. But I have my current YZ so dialed in, and sunk so much money in it (suspension, gytr head etc etc) that I might just hold off (plus I am probably faster on my decked out 10 than any stock 14). I def like hearing the reviews though. I would like to ride both back to back, hoping to get that chance some time this spring.

It was a good article and they definitely like the new YZ. The things that hurt it were handling coming into corners, weak brakes and the powerband not as good as the KX. I think when you factor in reliability the YZ is tops. They didn't really consider that in the ranking even though they often state the YZs are the best in reliability?

so they nipped it for twitchiness entering corners, yet in the seperate categories it WON handling??!! weird. As for the "weak" brakes, it is listed as 2nd best brakes in the seperate category part...test makes no sense..by all accounts it should have won. They did give it "best vet bike" honors...and runner up in some other areas.

so they nipped it for twitchiness entering corners, yet in the seperate categories it WON handling??!! weird. As for the "weak" brakes, it is listed as 2nd best brakes in the seperate category part...test makes no sense..by all accounts it should have won. They did give it "best vet bike" honors...and runner up in some other areas.

Look at the 2013 results. The '13 Yam was 2nd best handing, 1st reliability, 1st suspension, 3rd brakes, 2nd clutch and 5th in powerband. The Kawi was outside of the top 3 in most catagories, aside from motor. The Yam got 5th and Kawi 1st. So I'm not shocked. Either way, it seems as if those are the 2 best choices as of right now.

DR=Dirt Rider They ranked the Yam first in their shootout. Just needling those who swear these rankings are the result of payoffs.  

I don't suppose they listed any of their suspension settings for their vet guys?

Does anyone ever use the forward bar mounts? People mention the front end feeling "light". Does moving the bars forward help?

I've not found a store around here yet that sells MXA or DR.

My number plate graphics and oversize front brakes whould arrive this week. Once I get that installed, I'll post a pic.

I've ordered some of those TE bars, but they won't arrive for a while.

Mxa is 99% motor biased. Even in the 450 class. When it comes to mxa I ignore who they call the winner. They are knowledgable about bikes. I read what they say about each bike then rank them myself based on their opinions. I could only get a better outcome if I could test the bikes myself.