Air Filter Talk - Sick of me yet guys?

So, I have recently bombarded the board with questions, I appreciate all the help you guys offer me!

I got my tax return today, and weaseled 400 dollars out of it to put into my bike.  I'm getting tires and a couple other little things, but I'd like to get a new air filter as well.

I've always thought I would just get a K&N, easy maintenance, lasts forever, ect, and I'm just not a huge  fan of oiled foam filters.  But I've read some bad things  about them.

Should I steer clear of a K&N and go a different route?  If so, what  do you suggest.

Bike is already 3x3, FCR, RS-2, jetted.

If you ride mainly street then the K&N is fine,  if you ride lots of dirt/dust,  then id get something like the UNI. 

$400 Bucks hee??  BBK is $394 shipped,  still have $ left for a 6 pack of beer to help with install,   :D

I ride 100% street, the bike will never see dirt.

BBK huh?  That is tempting, but tires are a must.  I've got about 4000 miles under my belt with this bike, and it's still plenty fast for me.  No BBK quite yet.   ?

I ride 100% street, the bike will never see dirt.

BBK huh?  That is tempting, but tires are a must.  I've got about 4000 miles under my belt with this bike, and it's still plenty fast for me.  No BBK quite yet.   ?

Then id go with K&N,   with 4000 miles there is no need,  BBK time is right around 15-20K.

• Like 1

i have a twin air, air filter, but barely ride dirt..  i rode with it for 40,000+ miles(300miles in dirt)..i cleaned it 3 times..

looks brand new on inside..outside is becoming a dirty stain color, when clean...

ill probly take it off today n clean it since its raining

Edited by 707LAKE

I use a Twin Air too......all I can say is that it's a really good filter. It is slightly more than some others, but how often do you buy air filters? They last for quite a while.........just sayin

I do like the BigBore kit idea though.......or maybe some Hot Cams?????????  ?

well tires are a must this trip around, so 250 of it was out the door the minute i got my return.  I did end up going with the K&N, im a bit of a brand loyal person and I have had good experiences with them in my cars.  

With only riding street I think it will suit me well.  I'll give a report in 3,000 miles.   ?

• Like 1

well tires are a must this trip around, so 250 of it was out the door the minute i got my return.  I did end up going with the K&N, im a bit of a brand loyal person and I have had good experiences with them in my cars.  

With only riding street I think it will suit me well.  I'll give a report in 3,000 miles.   ?

That's what motorcycle stashes are for....saving up until the next big purchase.........hahahaha

• Like 1

You get a it more noise from the K&N, but regarding power - it's much the same with foam or cotton.

I have only had problems with flow once,

built a GSXR1000 engine with 220 hp (up from 158), had to go with a PiperCross race filter, which is no good on the street.

Flow of oem filters is usually plenty compared to what the engine needs

You get a it more noise from the K&N, but regarding power - it's much the same with foam or cotton.

I have only had problems with flow once,

built a GSXR1000 engine with 220 hp (up from 158), had to go with a PiperCross race filter, which is no good on the street.

Flow of oem filters is usually plenty compared to what the engine needs

Ok , I gotta ask .. What did you do to get to 220 ?

• Like 1

The K&N filter used with a neoprene base seal works great in the dirt.  I have been using them for years here in the dusty off road conditions here in Nevada and have never had a problem.  Just like any other aftermarket part, if you don't install if / maintain it properly it won't give the best results.

The K&N filter used with a neoprene base seal works great in the dirt.  I have been using them for years here in the dusty off road conditions here in Nevada and have never had a problem.  Just like any other aftermarket part, if you don't install if / maintain it properly it won't give the best results.

Where do you get neoprene base seals?

One thing I dont like about the K&N is the way over time the backside dishes/pushes in from the tension of the spring bar filter retainer. Eventually loosening its seal.

Ok , I gotta ask .. What did you do to get to 220 ?

I did not so much myself, built by an expert for me :

JE Custom Stroker Pistons , 4mm Stroker Crank , Block Machined , Carrillo H-Beams Rods , KWS CNC Pro Head , Web Cams , Adjustable cam sprockets , Valve Springs , Falicon Billet Clutch Basket , Custom head gasket , and Dyno Tune 

1143.JPG

I spent over $10k on that engine..

You can have a look at KWS Motorsports for details 

• Like 3