Sign in to follow this  

How to break in and rmz250 2010

How do you break in a 4 stroke dirt bike, i just got the crank and new top end (piston and rings) Ik how to break in a 2 stroke because i happened to own a ktm which blew 6 times in a year. So do i run a tank of gas through it or do i only have to do half. Im hearing different stuff from different people. But what do you guys think is the best way??

How do you break in a 4 stroke dirt bike, i just got the crank and new top end (piston and rings) Ik how to break in a 2 stroke because i happened to own a ktm which blew 6 times in a year. So do i run a tank of gas through it or do i only have to do half. Im hearing different stuff from different people. But what do you guys think is the best way??

of course you going to get a lot of opinions.. everyone seems to have one! Here is mine.. if the motor is brand spankin new from top to bottom, grab some maxima break in oil.. put it in and do two heat cycles.. then let cool.. then go ride bike for bout 30 min without getting WoT.. then go back and drain oil.. clean your strainers. Put new oil 10-40 or 15-50.. then go ride that Shi+

Just picked up a new 2012 RMZ-250 around Christmas and the mechanic at the dealership said that there isn't anything special that needs to be done, but to not go crazy on it in the first half tank of gas.

Just picked up a new 2012 RMZ-250 around Christmas and the mechanic at the dealership said that there isn't anything special that needs to be done, but to not go crazy on it in the first half tank of gas.

Alright thanks!

Just picked up a new 2012 RMZ-250 around Christmas and the mechanic at the dealership said that there isn't anything special that needs to be done, but to not go crazy on it in the first half tank of gas.

Alright thanks!

Risky... A new bike from dealer has been on the dyno 2-3 times before you start riding it, so most of the break in is done. Where as smoky has had a rebuild from what i can gather ( 1 x dyno time if that) i would be breaking it in proper to seat the valves ( heating-cooling).

When i got mine from dealer they said " ride it like u stole it " then dump that oil/filter and check strainer. (I still took it easy for first 30 mins )

Good luck. this thread has been going a while now so you probably been out on it. How was it?

• Like 1

ame="smokeyrmz250" post="11367441" timestamp="1392221291"]

Risky... A new bike from dealer has been on the dyno 2-3 times before you start riding it, so most of the break in is done. Where as smoky has had a rebuild from what i can gather ( 1 x dyno time if that) i would be breaking it in proper to seat the valves ( heating-cooling).

When i got mine from dealer they said " ride it like u stole it " then dump that oil/filter and check strainer. (I still took it easy for first 30 mins )

Good luck. this thread has been going a while now so you probably been out on it. How was it?

I havent gotten the bike back yet

Ive always been of the belief with four strokes that if its going to blow up it will do it regardless of how easy you take it on the engine. So my process has always be to warm it up and then ride it hard. lugging it through gears and that to put pressure on the piston rings to seat them. This prevents blow-by and thus produce the strongest engine. Blow buy can contaminate oil and cause future engine issues. also cylinder honing only seems to last about 5 mins if that. so thats all the time you have to seat the rings and get a good seal. Heres a link to an article from someone with far more experience than I.  http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Edited by Goofball1205