Raptor 660 sitting for 5 years..

Hey all, I just bought a 2003 raptor 660 from a friend of mine. He bought it new, and since today it has been sitting in his garage untouched for 5 years. My first question is, what will I need to do in order to get it into running order. I know the obvious things such as cleaning the carbs and changing the oil. But what are your opinions on other things I should do? Would the gaskets in the engine be dried up? Clutch plates stuck together? Any advice would be useful, thank you in advance

Change gas, oil, and spark plug. Clean the carb, new battery if it needs it. The gaskets should be fine try squeezing the clutch a few times before starting it.  

Let us know how it goes!

I've also heard that putting a little oil on the spark plug prior to starting it will help lube up the cylinder as well....

Clean air filter also I would try a little marvel mystery oil in plug hole and let it sit over night just a little to coat rings and cylinder .then turn over with spark plug out .put in new plug while your wating I would take carb off and clean carb

New filters, plugs, oil, gas, and battery. Pull the carb and give it a good clean. If it won't start then, take it to a mechanic. Very simple! Have fun and be safe, that's a fast four wheeler!

New filters, plugs, oil, gas, and battery. Pull the carb and give it a good clean. If it won't start then, take it to a mechanic. Very simple! Have fun and be safe, that's a fast four wheeler!

Hahahaha. If you have to bring your quad to the shop because it doesn't start then I highly suggest looking into selling it.

Ensure your fuel shutoff petcock is closed. Undo the fuel hose from the tank down to the petcock, drain and discard the fuel. Put three ounces of Seafoam per gallon of tank capacity into your fuel tank, and fill your fuel tank up with fresh fuel (preferably ethanol-free gas). Keep the petcock closed.

Pull the spark plug. Put some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Crank the engine, without the spark plug, to spread the mystery oil around and lubricate your cylinder. About 5 seconds should do it. Clean your spark plug and re-install it.

Put an ounce of Seafoam into the oil. We're going to change it, but not until we get the engine started and running for a little bit (no use dumping a bunch of crud into fresh oil).

Now, open up the fuel shutoff/petcock, and try to start your bike. It may help to hook up a battery charger/starting unit to your battery (you might need a new battery after all that time). If it starts, but runs rough, that's okay. We want some of that gasoline/Seafoam mix getting into the carb so it can start eating the deposits. Let the engine run for 5 minutes and then shut it down. Let it sit overnight, and then go start it again. It should run a lot better... very good, actually. If not, you might want to get some of the Seafoam fogging spray and feed that through your air cleaner. 

Once the engine will start, and you've run it for a few minutes, time to change the oil. I like using a good synthetic like Shell Rotella T6 (JASO MA-rated). 

Run the next couple of tanks with an ounce of Seafoam per gallon, and you should be good to go.

I find that Seafoam can fix a lot of rough engine problems without having to pull and rebuild a carb.

Edited by ObiJohn

Hahahaha. If you have to bring your quad to the shop because it doesn't start then I highly suggest looking into selling it.

I ride dirt bikes...and I just rebuilt my whole motorImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392856834.640436.jpg

Ensure your fuel shutoff petcock is closed. Undo the fuel hose from the tank down to the petcock, drain and discard the fuel. Put three ounces of Seafoam per gallon of tank capacity into your fuel tank, and fill your fuel tank up with fresh fuel (preferably ethanol-free gas). Keep the petcock closed.

Pull the spark plug. Put some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Crank the engine, without the spark plug, to spread the mystery oil around and lubricate your cylinder. About 5 seconds should do it. Clean your spark plug and re-install it.

Put an ounce of Seafoam into the oil. We're going to change it, but not until we get the engine started and running for a little bit (no use dumping a bunch of crud into fresh oil).

Now, open up the fuel shutoff/petcock, and try to start your bike. It may help to hook up a battery charger/starting unit to your battery (you might need a new battery after all that time). If it starts, but runs rough, that's okay. We want some of that gasoline/Seafoam mix getting into the carb so it can start eating the deposits. Let the engine run for 5 minutes and then shut it down. Let it sit overnight, and then go start it again. It should run a lot better... very good, actually. If not, you might want to get some of the Seafoam fogging spray and feed that through your air cleaner.

Once the engine will start, and you've run it for a few minutes, time to change the oil. I like using a good synthetic like Shell Rotella T6 (JASO MA-rated).

Run the next couple of tanks with an ounce of Seafoam per gallon, and you should be good to go.

Very good advice, finally got around to working on it and it seemed to run very well after taking all of this steps. Thank you!

I find that Seafoam can fix a lot of rough engine problems without having to pull and rebuild a carb.

I would also gease all the zerk fittings.

Not everyone is a mechanic. The hobby here is riding, not wrenching.