Getting unstuck for mud

We have all had those days when your flying down the trail having the bets time of your life then all of the sudden your into the mud and stuck. You got your self stuck in a mud puddle that you though you got get through but it turned out otherwise. You sit there giving it all you got spinning your tires trying to get out but its no use, your not going anywhere.

Im almost all of the time riding with my dad, who's on his ATV. So when i get stuck i have his ATV to pull me out. My question is where would be the best place to attach a winch cable/rope to my bike to pull it out. Last time i got stuck we attached  to the rear tire, not sure if its the best place to pull from but it worked. Pulling from the tires worked, im just not sure it could damage the tire or something else. Where would be the best place to pull on the dirt bike so that it does not damage anything. Front and back positions would be appreciated.

What do you guys do when you get stuck in the mud, are there any little tricks or special techniques to help you get out.

Thanks

usually tow straps for bikes get looped around the tripple trees and your good to go. as for pulling backwards (or any other direction) common sense applies just avoid pulling the rear wheel side to side if at all possible.

Edited by ekulb14

get off with it in 1st gear and push on the bars while you give it some gas and slowly let the clutch out. I have never seen a mud hole you cant wrangle your bike out of especially with two people. If you found one you are trying pretty hard to get stuck. also you can thank the 4 wheelers for making that mud hole in the first place.

• Like 2

get off with it in 1st gear and push on the bars while you give it some gas and slowly let the clutch out. I have never seen a mud hole you cant wrangle your bike out of especially with two people. If you found one you are trying pretty hard to get stuck. also you can thank the 4 wheelers for making that mud hole in the first place.

amen haha

Two people yes, one person no.

935691_375088999269064_900115096_n.jpg

The trick is to get off well before you are bogged, and only get back on when you know its good to go.

As for who makes the bog holes, its not the quads its the rain. ^^^ that aint a quad rut ^^^

This guys using the correct technique?

425.jpg

Two people yes, one person no.

935691_375088999269064_900115096_n.jpg

The trick is to get off well before you are bogged, and only get back on when you know its good to go.

As for who makes the bog holes, its not the quads its the rain. ^^^ that aint a quad rut ^^^

This guys using the correct technique?

425.jpg

top rut looks like quick sand lol never encountered that while riding yet. I just figured the ruts this kid was stuck in were quad ruts as the is sharing the trail with his dad on a 4 wheeler. we have way too many riding areas in Missouri that quads have screwed up.

top rut looks like quick sand lol never encountered that while riding yet. I just figured the ruts this kid was stuck in were quad ruts as the is sharing the trail with his dad on a 4 wheeler. we have way too many riding areas in Missouri that quads have screwed up.

O and the top rut looks pretty avoidable as it is dry as a bone right next to the rut.

Pulling from the front forks or the rear wheel are the only locations if you don't have tugger or grab straps. 

Steering around the deep mud is the first step. The #1 mistake in racing in deep mud is when you stop moving don't just crack the throttle wide open - it just digs in deeper.  Once you get down to the axles in wet sloppy mud it is going to take a lot of effort to lift the bike and break the mud's suction to pull the wheel out. If you can, try to flip the bike on its side - it is easier than dead lifting it. Once it is on its side drag it far enough away so that you can stand it up again without putting the wheels into a rut.  

Digging a bike out of thick swampy mud takes a lot of effort and will take much more time than pausing for a second to look for alternate lines during a race. Even Pros get stuck so the rest of us need to use some common sense before just pinning it.