advice on offroad tires and a review of my old set

okay i ride very aggressive here in Virgina where you will find just about everything in the terrain department

I ran a maxxis IT rear and a dunlop mx51 front.

total mileage 4500 miles.  i should've changed them out but i decided why not make my tires supermotoish on the street lol i would run these non DOTs with HD tubes at up to 80 mph never got a flat

the IT wore like iron on pavement any did great in dry dirt and hard rocks.  you could run this thing flat for a while if in a emergency situation ( its a thick tough tire) 

cons- its a bitch to change, its not the happiest in mud and god forbid river crossings on large flat wet rocks ( it just wouldnt grip and would slid out all the time)   just a lack of grip especially on slippery hill climbs where my old ac 10 michelin would have zero problems.

the MX51 dunlop i cant really say i much about im neutral on it.   i always have a hard time reviewing front tires as i can really judge it.. i guess it cornered well for an mx tire

IS THERE A better rear tire i could look at that has the same longeivity as the IT and would stick better in the grip department?

okay i ride very aggressive here in Virgina where you will find just about everything in the terrain department

I ran a maxxis IT rear and a dunlop mx51 front.

total mileage 4500 miles.  i should've changed them out but i decided why not make my tires supermotoish on the street lol i would run these non DOTs with HD tubes at up to 80 mph never got a flat

the IT wore like iron on pavement any did great in dry dirt and hard rocks.  you could run this thing flat for a while if in a emergency situation ( its a thick tough tire) 

cons- its a bitch to change, its not the happiest in mud and god forbid river crossings on large flat wet rocks ( it just wouldnt grip and would slid out all the time)   just a lack of grip especially on slippery hill climbs where my old ac 10 michelin would have zero problems.

the MX51 dunlop i cant really say i much about im neutral on it.   i always have a hard time reviewing front tires as i can really judge it.. i guess it cornered well for an mx tire

IS THERE A better rear tire i could look at that has the same longeivity as the IT and would stick better in the grip department?

I've also used and like the Maxxis Desert IT, but found the same issues.....slippery in mud and especially in water crossings, so it must be the compound that makes it last so long being harder, or something. I also have the MX 51 front, and it has worked great so I guess I'll get another one when the time comes.

I have been experimenting with a Goldentyre for the rear.....140-80-18. It works absolutely fantastic in snow and/or water conditions. Also works great on dirt, rocks, roots etc. It's rated a DOT tire, but I don't have enough mileage yet to say it holds up for a long time. One thing that is more important to me is "confidence building" in a tire. I like to ride hard and fast at times and don't want to project ahead and say to myself, oh no, here comes one of those dicey places, I better slow down, or whatever. The tire I have now, I don't think about. That's about it, just ride it and have fun. Bottom line, I don't care if it last for 4,000mi.

The problem is getting them. I got this given to me by Monk (a TT'r who lives in B.C.) and it's easier to acquire there. A friend in the U.K. showed me a picture of his tire after I sent a picture of mine, and the Michelin A10(?) looks so much like it, spacing distance, tread pattern, and knob height, so it could be the same tire with just a different brand. It is the favorite tire over there, so who knows. Anyway, the tire thing is always full of guys saying "try this" or "try that", kind of like the dreaded oil threads, so take this for what it's worth

i think youre the only other person besides myself that runs that original tire combo.  Ah i bet the Canadians got sick of spinning wheels up hill on the wet trails.  if you find a source for that tire  rear tire give me a shout!   

i hate when im following somebody and they get hung up on a steep hill and then im stuck because my bike just cant seem to grip  and then i watch my friend ride away! lol

i think youre the only other person besides myself that runs that original tire combo.  Ah i bet the Canadians got sick of spinning wheels up hill on the wet trails.  if you find a source for that tire  rear tire give me a shout!   

i hate when im following somebody and they get hung up on a steep hill and then im stuck because my bike just cant seem to grip  and then i watch my friend ride away! lol

I will.........seems there was a place close to you on the east coast, but will look again and let you know.

Here's that link......mine isn't the "sticky" one (has a X after the 216) Mine is just a 216.............they're kind of spendy, but that's shipping and handling too. A starting point......you will most likely find something cheaper elsewhere......

Try out the Pirelli MT21, works pretty good for me in all the terrain departments.

Tear it up !