Sign in to follow this  

KTM Shock Reb.!

Why the reb stack on WP Shocks is so soft compared to all other shocks?

With 0,25mm hi speed shims and 21mm clamp the stack is x times softer as a common KYB/ Showa stack!!

Opinions?

It works on hard pack but is terrible in sand

You are comparing apples to oranges.  There are many factors besides the shim stack itself that determine the overall damping rate.  The European rebound settings are typically a bit lighter than Japanese bikes, but the valving shims do not tell the whole story.  Look at the valving on a WP fork versus a KYB fork - you'll see the same sort of dramatic differences.

• Like 1

Why the reb stack on WP Shocks is so soft compared to all other shocks?

With 0,25mm hi speed shims and 21mm clamp the stack is x times softer as a common KYB/ Showa stack!!

Opinions?

A few things to consider is the designs as stated. In regards to stack comparison In which I feel your alluding to, you have a 12mm id shims versus the 16mm id shims. Take into consideration the flex and leverage points will very between the two. ( 12mm versus the 16mm).  Naturally you can get into port sizes and shapes, Bleeds, shim overhangs, compression adjusters bladder- seperator pressures etc. needs to be considered

so this is one thing which needs to be clarified now:
Does the ID of the shims make a difference when you clamp them on the same diameter?
If yes, in what way?

A few things to consider is the designs as stated. In regards to stack comparison In which I feel your alluding to, you have a 12mm id shims versus the 16mm id shims. Take into consideration the flex and leverage points will very betweden the two. ( 12mm versus the 16mm). 

• Like 1

so this is one thing which needs to be clarified now:

Does the ID of the shims make a difference when you clamp them on the same diameter?

If yes, in what way?

In the case of all things being equal except the id of the shims, I would say no. But then again I might be wrong So I ran a couple stacks on the restackor. Everything was the same except the id of the shims( same stack, piston ) there was a difference in stiffnesses. I would assume this might be do the the amount of the shim cross section avalible from ID to OD between the two.

there has to be a difference on stiffness if you compare shims with different id's eg 12 x 44 x .20 and 16 x 44 x .20