Sign in to follow this  

15 Year old, 5'3 125 lbs What bike? HELP

I'm 15, 5'3-5'4 and around 130, i have a xr 80 but looking to upgrade, I know clutch, and ride trails, any thought on a bike that would be suitable for me, I DONT want one too big, and 2 stroke or 4 stroke doesn't matter

CRF150R would be a good buy for your current height.  Plenty of power too.  The concern would be if you hit a growth spurt, but you could always sell and get a bigger one later.  I would look for the taller model to start with just to give you room to grow.

• Like 1

I ride a rm85 and I'm 15 and 5'0 bout 90 Lbs. I would guess that the bike would be perfect for you too once you have the suspension adjusted to your weight and stuff

My son is 15 and 5'-5' 100 pounds. He rode a KLX 140 for few years. The 140 is very similar to your XR 80. He recently moved up to a KTM XC 105. It made riding way more fun for him. The KTM 105, KX 100 or CRF 150R are all great bikes for you assuming your ready for more aggressive riding. The 100 and 105 are a little lighter with 2 stroke engines that will probably require less maintenance than the 150R.

85/100/105 two stroke.

or CRF150R four stroke.

CRF150Rs from what I've seen are actually pretty reliable when it comes to not having engine damage. They can be hard to start for a smaller rider, however.

Very rideable too.

IMO an 85 would be a better bet if you plan to go two stroke later in life.

CRF150R would be a good buy for your current height.  Plenty of power too.  The concern would be if you hit a growth spurt, but you could always sell and get a bigger one later.  I would look for the taller model to start with just to give you room to grow.

I agree. Look for the CRF 150RB (sometimes called 150r expert). its a little taller and its got bigger wheels, which makes a huge difference trail riding. My friend had a yz125 2-stroke and it didn't have enough low end torque to make it up hills without a big head start (your 80 could beat it). from what i've seen its the same story with all small 2-strokes like that.

I agree. Look for the CRF 150RB (sometimes called 150r expert). its a little taller and its got bigger wheels, which makes a huge difference trail riding. My friend had a yz125 2-stroke and it didn't have enough low end torque to make it up hills without a big head start (your 80 could beat it). from what i've seen its the same story with all small 2-strokes like that.

He's a little bit tall for one and will outgrow it very fast

Depends what he wants to use it for. In the trails it's kinda nice to have a small bike to whip around.

But a 125 2 stroke with some mods for more torque would work too.

Just remembered- honda used to make an xr200 (until 2004), which is great for woods. Might be kinda hard to find one though.

Maico 700

This. Plenty of power if you need it and it'll be great when it's sprung for your height and weight.

I'm 5'7 and race a ktm 85 and I'm fine on it. I went to a hare scramble practice day and if I couldn't get over a log (i race mx), I just lifted it over its that's light and its great for tucking under branches or in tight stuff.