Sign in to follow this  

seized motor?

ok so i bought this 1991 rm250 about a month ago. needed some work, finished the work, after that it starts first kick! but after i went through the gas the previous owner left in the bike i put in some of my own, the gas was 5 months old with oil mixed in it, 91 octane gas, i put it in and ran it to warm it up to go on my first ride, then after about 2 minutes of idling it started to make a funny sound and the motor shut off, i was like huh? thats weird, started it again and listened idling it and it sounded like dry metal on metal so i shut it off quick! and walked away because of frustration. 

now a week later its snowing so i wanna go cruise around and do some drifting, so i go out and the kickstart is really hard to push down! it moves down but is very hard. could it be that the oil in the gas settled and became less lubricated? could it be that since its 19 deg outside that the motor is really cold? i have just water in my radiator now so maybe that's frozen and keeping the water pump from turning which is keeping the motor from turning?

ok so i bought this 1991 rm250 about a month ago. needed some work, finished the work, after that it starts first kick! but after i went through the gas the previous owner left in the bike i put in some of my own, the gas was 5 months old with oil mixed in it, 91 octane gas, i put it in and ran it to warm it up to go on my first ride, then after about 2 minutes of idling it started to make a funny sound and the motor shut off, i was like huh? thats weird, started it again and listened idling it and it sounded like dry metal on metal so i shut it off quick! and walked away because of frustration.

now a week later its snowing so i wanna go cruise around and do some drifting, so i go out and the kickstart is really hard to push down! it moves down but is very hard. could it be that the oil in the gas settled and became less lubricated? could it be that since its 19 deg outside that the motor is really cold? i have just water in my radiator now so maybe that's frozen and keeping the water pump from turning which is keeping the motor from turning?

What was your mix ratio? What's your jetting? I doubt the water in the radiator is frozen if it was I would imagine it would have busted something.

19 degrees out and only water in the radiators..... your probably going to see a puddle of water under the bike when it thaws out.

I bet your bike is ruined. Pop the radiator cap off and see if its frozen.

kick it harder. eventually the ice will break loose. get video if you can of the drifting, aint never seen it done on a dirtbike. rock on brotha :thumbsup:

Edited by harryhandshake

the water was frozen :goofy: i put the bike in the garage and let it thaw out over night, popped the water pump cover off, nothing was broken, then mixed water and antifreeze in and put some penetrating oil in the cylinder and waited a few minutes and it fired up first kick  :ride:  DEFIANTLY HAD FUN IN THE SNOW! i was snow drifting like crazy! it handles so good in the snow, you could literally throw the back out and be able to save it, the back tire was bald but it didn't make much of a difference in 7in of snow. the only thing though was to keep it out of the power band because once it got to those rpm's the back tire would instantly spin and loose traction, which made drifting easier :lol: