AIS Removal Help

2013 WR250F

Everything else is done: Jets, Throttle screw etc.

The GYTR instructions that came with the kit are disgraceful.

There are 2 bolts with heads facing me that appear to hold the bracket. Two bolts coming in from behind that appear to hold the control valve to the bracket. And large black hose coming out the back of all this business and disappearing into the abyss.

What's coming off here?

img_0428.jpg

Edited by gatorfan

Thanks scvizen. The video helped me get the mod done but I am not happy with the results.

The fitting over the feed pipe intake does not hold well. I think the hose clamp is too big causing it to slip before biting the cap and casket well.

img_0431.jpg

And the cap for the vacuum line is a joke. It's WAY to big. It slips on the fitting with no bite at all. The clamp never stood a chance of holding. I can lift is right off.

img_0432.jpg

So I pop for the kit to make life easy and I'm off to ACE anyway. 

Advice welcome.

Can you use a zip-tie on the smaller cap instead of the clamp in order to squeeze it down more?

Can you use a zip-tie on the smaller cap instead of the clamp in order to squeeze it down more?

Yea, the little guy's an easy fix. 

The gasket that came with the larger cap appears to be treated with something. I suspect once the engine is heated it will form a seal. If that doesn't work do you think a high temp gasket sealer is a good idea here? Not sure what the gasket that came with the kit is made of? Never saw anything it like it before.

On the GYTR AIS removal kit that I used on my 2009 WR250F, I, too, used a zip-tie to hold the rubber cap over that nipple.

I also noticed that the metal cap held on with the metal hose clamp could be turned once tightened, but it always sealed and never caused a problem.

Just make sure the clamp is sufficiently tight.

The little metallic gasket for that metal cap is similar to the gasket you see at the header/muffler joint, and will withstand heat from the exhaust gas.

As stated in the instructions, be sure to retighten it after you run the bike long enough to get it up to temperature and then let it cool.

Important:

Make sure you plug the nipple coming off the airbox where the larger hose went from airbox to the AIS control valve (AKA air pump).

Here are the GYTR AIS Removal Kit instructions enlarged:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/GYT-5UM93-69-01.pdf

You are doing fine for a guy learning how to work on his dirt bike.

You think this is frustrating?

There are other projects out there:

You can buy a 440cc big-bore kit for the Suzuki DR-Z400 models which will very likely leak combustion pressure into the cooling system (pressurizing the cooling system and gradually filling the coolant reservoir until you realize you have a problem) unless you buy a can of Permatex Spray-a-Gasket gasket sealant and paint the head gasket with it as well as increase the torque on the cylinder head bolts to a higher torque value.

The only way you find this out is to either be lucky enough to hear or read about it first, or install the kit and then learn about it as the coolant reservoir fills up.   :)

No mention of this in the kit instructions, naturally.

Hang in there.

Edited by YZEtc

I also noticed that the metal cap held on with the metal hose clamp could be turned once tightened, but it always sealed and never caused a problem.

:thumbsup:  Just what I needed to hear.

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, everything went fairly smoothly. Re-jet was a piece of cake and I'm ok if I have to tinker with the jetting.

I'm dying to run it but the swing arm is off and I'm waiting for a chain slider which is backordered.

Sounds like you're in mod hell with the DRZ.

I did the DR-Z (the 400SM motard) experience from 2008-2009.

It did suck finding that out the hard way, but it did turn out OK.

What are you going to do for jetting? I removed mine and didn't re-jet and it was pretty picky to start.