Sign in to follow this  

What is a good lock?

Looking to get feedback on what is being used for locks. I know if they want it they'll get it. I just want to feeel a little better about her being in the back of the truck overnight. Thanks

Go to Walmart or hardware store and get a cut proof logging chain and Master lock. I think I had about $35 in it. Wrap it through the back wheel, around the swing arm then take the links at each end of the chain and put in on the lock. Then lock the lock to the tie down on in your truck bed corner. 

• Like 2

Go to Walmart or hardware store and get a cut proof logging chain and Master lock. I think I had about $35 in it. Wrap it through the back wheel, around the swing arm then take the links at each end of the chain and put in on the lock. Then lock the lock to the tie down on in your truck bed corner. 

That.. and insurance. Costs me $5 per month for $3500 worth of "total loss" coverage on my KX-F.

That.. and insurance. Costs me $5 per month for $3500 worth of "total loss" coverage on my KX-F.

I have full coverage on it. Hell I have bettdr ins on my bike than the truck

Aside from comfort...one of the main reasons, I purchased an enclosed trailer. Enough room to sleep next to my bike...indoors.

Like you said, if they want it they'll get it.  I do lock it as a major deterrent though.  I use these:

http://www.lockstraps.com/purchase/

and I put pad locks ion each rotor.  My buddy uses a cable lock through the frame to the truck and pad locks on the discs.

I also back my truck all the way, tight, up to the garage so if someone managed to cut everything off they can't roll the bike out, they would have to lift it over the side. 

MAX!!!

Edited by 06yz

Like you said, if they want it they'll get it.  I do lock it as a major deterrent though.  I use these:

http://www.lockstraps.com/purchase/

and I put pad locks ion each rotor.  My buddy uses a cable lock through the frame to the truck and pad locks on the discs.

MAX!!!

The lockstraps look interesting. Do you use them as tie downs, and if so,how secure are the as far as loosening up during transport?

Yes I do use them as my tie downs  They are very secure, I have not had a problem with them loosening during transport. 

MAX!!!

Square cross-section chain is cut resistant and easily available through sources like mcmaster.com  add on a decent lock with a shrouded hasp and you have about the best setup you can get.  It should cost around $60 to tie down a dirt bike.

I had my bike stolen a few year's ago from my backyard. It was a FAIRLY protected area and I had used a crappy cable lock. The police actually found it a month later. The dude who stoled it was known by the police and was stealing bike's and using them to do B&E's. They ended up cornering him as he was leaving a B&E and he left the bike and tried to run. The police dog's found the f#$$%^er and according to a friend who work's at the hospital the dog mauled him pretty good. When I got the bike back, it looked like he'd stashed it and had only used it once. I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky

Anyway, I now use a ONGUARD chain lock which I run through the frame to the frame on another bike

or through the frame to front tire depending on location

http://www.onguardlock.com/

Another option is the following

http://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Motorbike-Scooter

There some pretty interesting reading on the abus site

If I was really serious, I would use a chain lock and 1 or 2 alarmed disk lock's.

I've read thread's about theft protection here so I'm sure you get some option's.

Further I'm all for removing a hand or 2 when thief's are caught

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

I just want to feeel a little better about her being in the back of the truck overnight. Thanks

Why would you lock your woman in the back of the truck at night?

Why would you lock your woman in the back of the truck at night?

I keep getting harrassed about a pet policy. lol

If I had a woman I am sure she could provide me with some sort of brilliant idea on security. Hell I should call my ex she was amazinng at keeping stuff locked down

• Like 1