The Future of Off Road Motorcycles!

I'm not sure if anyone has ever saw this but I thought it was pretty cool. It really makes you wonder what it is gonna be like 20-30 years from now.

It all seems good except that there is no clutch control and the fact that it only last 45 - 60 mins, but besides that there's quite a bit of upsides to it: Lighter, Pretty much no maintenance, Environment Friendly, Quiet, yet still quite powerful, and you wouldn't have to buy gas!

Maybe in the future they will match up and/or be better than todays motorcycles!

What do you think?

Old news, same problems.  Until they can get the run time up around 100 miles on a single charge, at race speed and reduce the cost I doubt that they will go mainstream. 

Don't get me wrong, electric bikes may very well be in our future, but they need to get better ~ "a lot better" before I consider spending twice as much for half the fun.

Please no!

Awesome option to have.  My friend lives on a 5 acre lot that would be amazing to build some jumps on but too many neighbors close by to fire up a big thumper.  Electric bike = tons of fun and no crying neighbors.

Also just read that the Freeride E is going for $13,000.  Too rich for my blood.

Old news, same problems. Until they can get the run time up around 100 miles on a single charge, at race speed and reduce the cost I doubt that they will go mainstream.

Don't get me wrong, electric bikes may very well be in our future, but they need to get better ~ "a lot better" before I consider spending twice as much for half the fun.

Even if they do develop the e-bikes to those points, will they be as fun without a motor going "braaaap" or "grrr" under you?

I don't know about offroad riding but how would they do for trials purposes. They are somewhat light and have torque. I don't know much about trials but isn't that what they need?

I don't know about offroad riding but how would they do for trials purposes. They are somewhat light and have torque. I don't know much about trials but isn't that what they need?

there are already trials bikes with electric engine available here in europe.

there are two sorts: one with the bottom engine part from the Gasgas TXT with an electric head

and another one with a complete electric engine

http://www.1000ps.at/gebrauchtes-motorrad-640790-gas-gas-txt-e-4820-eta

but they are very expensive ^^

They'll have batteries soon enough that'll last as long as we need them. Will they ever be as fun as my gas bikes? Prolly not... just like my 4t isn't as fun as my old 2t's are. But for me in jersey its major benefit for noise control. Once the batteries are improved and the price is more manageable (maybe 5 years) they'll be all over the place here.

Please!

I can't even buy a laptop or cellphone battery that will last 14hrs while using it.

They've got to do better!

Please!

I can't even buy a laptop or cellphone battery that will last 14hrs while using it.

They've got to do better!

Baaaaaah!!! they be here.... someday....

The biggest plus that I can see is just the huge reduction in noise.  Now, for the hardcore dirt bike riders on TT that will be a major negative, but hear me out.  A friend lives in a urban township that had sprouted up a number of MX tracks, the township solution was to ban ALL MX tracks!  That's right!, even though he lives on 10 acres he can not ride on his own property!  An electric bike might change that ~ maybe.  At the same time, having a law that spec's out a certain decibel reading should have a similar effect.  I don't live in that country so I can only imagine what the actual ordinance is or how it's written.

My point is that because eBikes are so quiet what if they let us ride on city built BMX tracks or MTB trails with electric bikes?  If they did then instead of needing to drive one hour to the nearest trail I could be there in 10 minutes!!  At that point I really would consider buying one.

But don't get me wrong, I will always own something that burns petroleum distillates!   If the G men have a problem with that, stop by and we can talk about it.  kali.gif

I'm sure they will be mainstream eventually, first in trials, then MX, but it will be a while before they are common off-road. Range is the main reason. I wouldn't consider getting one unless they had no problem with a 500 mi range on one charge, and even then I'm not sure that is enough. Anything less range wise and 3+ day long weekend rides are out of the question.

I'm sure they will be mainstream eventually, first in trials, then MX, but it will be a while before they are common off-road. Range is the main reason. I wouldn't consider getting one unless they had no problem with a 500 mi range on one charge, and even then I'm not sure that is enough. Anything less range wise and 3+ day long weekend rides are out of the question.

Or possibly rig something like this with you for a recharge. I know this is pretty low wattage and wrong voltage but there's many ways to think out of the "gas" box.

http://www.21st-century-goods.com/sunlinq-7-portable-solar-charger-62-watt-military-grade-portable-solar-panel/

Wouldn't work well for me since I usually camp around trees and there isn't much direct sunlight, it's spendy, and I'm usually riding all day and it wouldn't charge at all at night. I guess I could invest in that $800 solar charger, another $1,000 battery( or four)0, and change our camping spots to places with few trees and direct sunlight and only do the camping/riding trips during the three summer months when clouds are scarce... or I could stick with gas until the battery bikes have that 500+ mile range.

Edited by woods-rider

Wouldn't work well for me since I usually camp around trees and there isn't much direct sunlight, it's spendy, and I'm usually riding all day and it wouldn't charge at all at night. I guess I could invest in that $800 solar charger, another $1,000 battery( or four)0, and change our camping spots to places with few trees and direct sunlight and only do the camping/riding trips during the three summer months when clouds are scarce... or I could stick with gas until the battery bikes have that 500+ mile range.

500+ range? I'd be happy with 150. I'm geussing the adventure bikes have that range?

Yeah, 500+ miles for battery or 100+ miles for gas. I can quickly and easily fill my gas tank from gas cans I bring with me and keep in camp. I can't recharge the battery so it would have to last 3+ days on one charge.

Yeah, 500+ miles for battery or 100+ miles for gas. I can quickly and easily fill my gas tank from gas cans I bring with me and keep in camp. I can't recharge the battery so it would have to last 3+ days on one charge.

Lmao.. your a good planner ;) you can get that range now... just need some enriched uranium and Lead around your balls. Edited by KTM_Pat

I remember Emailing KTM when i was about 12 (and a pretty decent 85cc woods rider., I won a national harescramble) and sending them this like 4 page letter about how i was the perfect candidate to test the freeride when they first came out with it and it was the sizeof an 85.

They never got back to me :lol:

My point is that because eBikes are so quiet what if they let us ride on city built BMX tracks or MTB trails with electric bikes?  If they did then instead of needing to drive one hour to the nearest trail I could be there in 10 minutes!!  At that point I really would consider buying one.

Yea, but I like to ride my BMX and mountain bike in those area. My dirt bike is for things I can't do on my pedalers, and vice-versa .