Dumb kickstarter bolt question, need help

Hey guys, I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I can not remove the kickstarter bolt. It's the Philips head, not the one that connects it to the shaft. It is one of the last remaining non-Ti bolts on my bike and I have stripped the head trying to remove it. I used the right size philips head, the thing will not budge and I ended up messing it all up. I can extract it, but wanted to know what the deal is before I take a bit to it. Please help, thank you.

I am familiar with this. Surprisingly, this screw has less than 10 foot lbs of torque holding it in. The first thing you have to do BEFORE trying to remove it is:

Put the screwdriver in the head and "rap" the top of it with reasonable force 3 - 5 times with a dead blow or a ball peen hammer. The helps unseat the threads of the two contrasting metals. An A Tech taught me this technique years ago. It works flawlessly.

It is Very Very rare that this does not work, but if it doesn't come out after a few tries you may need to heat the kick start slightly with a torch. Again, it is rare that it won't work.

Now that you have stripped the head, I recommend using an impact driver to remove it: kl_07_imp_dri_38.jpg

Edited by bnyfe

Thanks bud, I am embarrassed to even ask the question in the first place. I'm going to go back at it, see if I can do something without drilling and extracting. I can't believe it is this hard.

Thanks bud, I am embarrassed to even ask the question in the first place. I'm going to go back at it, see if I can do something without drilling and extracting. I can't believe it is this hard.

No embarrassment necessary. Do you have an impact vessel like the one pictured? They only cost about 20 bucks and This will take out ANY screw.

Drilling and extracting probably won't work.

Edited by bnyfe

I got it, I have an impact that worked perfect. Tanks again.

Nice! Ahhhh..The impact vessel (driver): one of my first, and very best, tool box investments I ever made!!

Edited by bnyfe

Nice! Ahhhh..The impact vessel (driver): one of my first, and very best, tool box investments I ever made!!

I bought one when I was on Yz's 90% of the engine bolts on that bike were phillips heads. Its gotten more use than any other tool in the tool box except for maybe the sockets. 

Never knew how often I would use it until I bought one.