Sign in to follow this  

Here we go again with rear wheel swaps

Ok I have a 2008 yz250. I want a spare wheel that I can keep a paddle on. I want it to be 19" x 2.15 like the stocker. I believe that '99 to '08 yz/yzf rear wheel all share same hub, is this correct? My next question is rotor size. The rotor get bigger in 2002, right? So If I am correct, I should be looking for a 2002-2008 yz/wr 450 or 2002-present yz250 rim, right? I dont care if it has a wave rotor or not, as long as it lines up to my caliper.

Thanks!

J

Yes correct. Wr will be 18" remember and all year wr wheels will fit. If you want 2.15 you will have to find a 450 or 250 2t wheel as 125 and 250f are narrower.

The smaller disc on the older wheels still works fine in the newer caliper its only 2.5mm less in radius.

• Like 1

Doh, you're right about the wr being 18", I knew that. Good to know about the rotor.

Thanks!

OK, here it goes. First off, I realize that this is my first post. This site is well known for is mechanical prowess so I figured my chances of getting a question answered, correctly here are pretty good. I did search this topic before I posted but didn't find my answer so here it is. Is it possible to retro fit a set of OEM Yamaha wheels from a 2012 YZ450f to a 2005 YZ 250 two stroke? I know that the '09 and up f models have a larger axel and larger bearing circumference than the '05 250 two stroke. However, couldn't you put bearings with the outside diameter to fit the larger hub diameter with a smaller diameter inner that would accept the slightly smaller axels for the 250 two stroke? If so, does it change the safety, handling or anything you can think of? Thanks for your time!

OK, here it goes. First off, I realize that this is my first post. This site is well known for is mechanical prowess so I figured my chances of getting a question answered, correctly here are pretty good. I did search this topic before I posted but didn't find my answer so here it is. Is it possible to retro fit a set of OEM Yamaha wheels from a 2012 YZ450f to a 2005 YZ 250 two stroke? I know that the '09 and up f models have a larger axel and larger bearing circumference than the '05 250 two stroke. However, couldn't you put bearings with the outside diameter to fit the larger hub diameter with a smaller diameter inner that would accept the slightly smaller axels for the 250 two stroke? If so, does it change the safety, handling or anything you can think of? Thanks for your time!

talon sell a spacer kit for the rear hub which enable's you to swap the rear wheel's over but i'm not sure if this work's with standard hub's or if yamaha sell a spacer kit for the standard hub's?

this explains it .

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/982730-help-talon-wheel-fitment/?hl=%2Btalon+%2Bwheel+%2Bfitment#entry10294395

OK, I was thinking that most aftermarket hub co.s make the same size hubs for the Yamahas and just fit w/spacers, middle spacer and bearings. I know getting the different bearings will be possible but the sleeve in the hub may be more difficult. I guess it would be nice if there was a "conversion" kit for OEM hubs. Thanks for the reply and Ill check in with them. If they don't have them maybe they( or someone else viewing this) will know where to go!