What's the worst maintenance you've seen someone do or not do on a bike

I have a neighbor that I ride dirt bikes with occasionally he does nothing for his bike I feel so bad for it I offer to change the oil in it from time to time and some basic stuff.

A couple years ago we went on a weekend trip and he dumped his bike over in a river submerged the whole thing and rode it the rest of the week not worring about the oil at all . rode the bike like that the rest of the summer that fall I offered to change the oil if he would buy it. Not being familiar with his bike was first time I changed his oil. I pulled the starter off on accident and strait up gray milky sludge came out of there so I put it back on and pulled the filter and drained the oil same thing in the oil gray water came out and all I got was a 1/3 qt out of it. I told him to just get ride of it and not even fire it up. He told me it just makes it stronger.

I have a neighbor that I ride dirt bikes with occasionally he does nothing for his bike I feel so bad for it I offer to change the oil in it from time to time and some basic stuff.

A couple years ago we went on a weekend trip and he dumped his bike over in a river submerged the whole thing and rode it the rest of the week not worring about the oil at all . rode the bike like that the rest of the summer that fall I offered to change the oil if he would buy it. Not being familiar with his bike was first time I changed his oil. I pulled the starter off on accident and strait up gray milky sludge came out of there so I put it back on and pulled the filter and drained the oil same thing in the oil gray water came out and all I got was a 1/3 qt out of it. I told him to just get ride of it and not even fire it up. He told me it just makes it stronger.

I know you can't choose your neighbors, but you can choose who you ride with. I suspect someday soon this guy will totally ruin that weekend trip. Unless you just leave him a gazillion miles from nowhere, which is exactly what I would do. No, not really, I would chose my riding partners more carefully.

Mike

I know you can't choose your neighbors, but you can choose who you ride with. I suspect someday soon this guy will totally ruin that weekend trip. Unless you just leave him a gazillion miles from nowhere, which is exactly what I would do. No, not really, I would chose my riding partners more carefully.

Mike

I actually stopped riding with him because it stresses me out when we go I didn't go once last year with him

I swear I have yet to buy a bike off CL that does not have a f-ing worn out, rusty ass chain. Does anybody clean/lube dirt bike chains anymore?!?

I clean my chain religiously, and I only have a 230.

A friend that hasn't cleaned his air filter or changed his trans or engine oil in over 4 years he had owned his 01 yz250f. Needless to say I don't really ride with him but I'm waiting for the day that bike finally gives up.

A friend that hasn't cleaned his air filter or changed his trans or engine oil in over 4 years he had owned his 01 yz250f. Needless to say I don't really ride with him but I'm waiting for the day that bike finally gives up.

Kinda thinkin it won't be long.

Mike

Was talking to a guy who said he's owned his bike since 2010 and he's never taken his front wheel off, didn't know how to adjust levers, didn't know how to adjust chain tension, never had his valves dones, etc.

Kinda thinkin it won't be long.

Mike

Yea it really surprises me it hasn't given up the ghost yet. I guess it shows the reliability of those older yzf's.

Yea it really surprises me it hasn't given up the ghost yet. I guess it shows the reliability of those older yzf's.

My friend had a 95 yz250 that wouldnt die called it Frankenstein beer can jb welded on at the sand dunes for the expansion chamber and many other ghetto fixes thing wouldn't give up until sold it to a dumb ass didn't mix the fuel. He Couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

yep have the same mate and its always a drama when we go riding twice in a row i have had to ride back to camp 15 miles to pick up the wrangler and trailer and pick him and his bike up! 

Fortunately very few stories like that for me.

The worst would be that guy that never shims his valves.

Fortunately very few stories like that for me.

The worst would be that guy that never shims his valves.

So, I never shim my valves... :D

Another mate of mines stem bearings, are so badly worn on his crf50 that he has about 10mm of play forwards and back. Been that way for about 2 or 3 years now. As the saying goes you can only lead a horse to water.

I saw someone put in a air filter that had several holes in it. He said it was fine because the backfire screen would stop any dirt that did make it through the holes in the filter.

I came across a dude on the trail who could not start his bike when it was hot , it was a Ktm 250 4t . So when he stops anywhere he just leaves it running .

As I was about to leave I pointed out that it was spitting out coolant and he went running over to it :excuseme:

So, I never shim my valves... :D

When its an '04 CRF, it leads to some degree of waiting on the side of the trail...

When its an '04 CRF, it leads to some degree of waiting on the side of the trail...

In general, Crf's lead to waiting on the side of the trail...

In general, Crf's lead to waiting on the side of the trail...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

i have a good friend who once in a while messes up his maintenance. i feel bad for him, ´cause he really wants to do a good job, he just keeps pushing it aside, 

the worst thing was when we had serviced hes front forks, and he went home to put them on the bike... somehow he forgot to tighten the bolts. the next day the bike collapsed when landing a big double in a race, tore the triple clamps from each other, and hurt him pretty bad .   :thumbsdn:  

Had a friend with a 2001 cr250 and he never changed the oil in the trans side, never properly mixed the oil and gas just dumped a little oil in every time he put gas in it, chain was all rusty... Then he got the great idea he wanted a 250f, I just about died laughing.

I have neglected to get a new chain a lot longer than I should have, and tires usually look like slicks by the time I take them off :bonk: