IT'S NOT TOO LATE! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

When should I put the TDC bolt back in when changing my oil on a 2008 rmz 250

Should I put the TDC bolt in after or before I add new oil.

I'm doing a oil and filter change.

Good question, I just changed the oil on the RMZ following every step in the OEM service manual.  I was wondering why I was told to remove the TDC bolt at all?  After adding oil, I decided well...guess I'll put that bolt back in???

I put mine back in after i fill it. First bolt out... Last one to go back in, i just assumed it helps when u drain the oil. A mistake i made on my first oil change was to realise there is 2 x drainage bolts!! I only did the back one and couldn't work out why it would only take 500mls of oil before it came out the check bolt...:( good luck

I put mine back in after i fill it. First bolt out... Last one to go back in, i just assumed it helps when u drain the oil. A mistake i made on my first oil change was to realise there is 2 x drainage bolts!! I only did the back one and couldn't work out why it would only take 500mls of oil before it came out the check bolt...:( good luck

Thanks

The reason you should remove the TDC cap on magneto cover is to allow the motor to vent thru and thru as oil is draining air and pressure is released allowing a nice consistant and vacuumless flow.. why is it important? Because the more oil that is disposed off, the more accurate you can be in refilling with new oil

• Like 2

Yep its just to equalize the air pressure.  But I still haven't been able to access the dang bolt behind the shifter.

You mean the strainer bolt? Pretty important one i can get to mine (gear lever slightly in the way but not enuff to stop me undoing it)

maybe adjust or remove your gear lever to access it.. If its the same as my 2013 its pretty important! i thought the earlier models had a magnetic sump plug that caught any filings.I have a magnet inside the strainer i clean it out every  5hrs.

Or is the bolt just super tight?  if so try warming the engine for 2 mins and retry.

Good luck

It's SUPER tight, the bolt is super soft, put the main problem is the freakin frame it partially blocking a socket getting on it.  One of these days I'll loosen the front and top of the engine and tilt it up to be able to get a socket on it.