Sign in to follow this  

Finally! Got a drz400E

After many months of saving and searching I have acquired a 2000 DRZ400E.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391834990.071184.jpg

I have never owned a bike and don't know where to start.

It has a 28 liter safari tank.

A concept seat.

Acewell speedo.

Luggage rack from concept seats(i think)

Rm250 from rim.

"Beefed up" suspension.

And apparently the breaks are modified.

I've got some questions though.

It doesn't have a coolant overflow? Is this a major thing.

The snorkel for the airbox isn't there but there is no 3x3 mod.

How can I tell what's been done to the breaks?

Any things I should be changing other than oil?

Since it's a 2000 model E does it already have an FCR stock?

It idles at about 1000 when you first start it but after you have ridden it it will not idle lower than 1500-1600, is this bad? how can I change it if it is?

How do I tell what the cam chain tensioner is(manual or auto)?

I'm super happy with it but those red bark busters have gotta go :)

Edited by Bowerbird100

It doesn't have a coolant overflow? Is this a major thing.

So no expansion tank..?...you will need to check coolant level regularly....

The snorkel for the airbox isn't there but there is no 3x3 mod.

Snorkel removal equates to 3x3 mod

How can I tell what's been done to the breaks?

pics of brake calipers,rotors and lines please

Any things I should be changing other than oil?

Check coolant level  :) ,valve clearances, air filter is clean and look at FAQ section for maintenance tips

Since it's a 2000 model E does it already have an FCR stock?

yes, but  pics of carb please

It idles at about 1000 when you first start it but after you have ridden it it will not idle lower than 1500-1600, is this bad? how can I change it if it is?

normal idle speed is 1800 rpm +/- 100

How do I tell what the cam chain tensioner is(manual or auto)?

better pics will reveal

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

Glad to hear you got yourself an E! :)

As for your questions, I'll try my best:

• Coolant overflow tank: Get yourself one, the coolant expands when hot and then gets sucked back into the radiator when it cools down... Without an overflow tank, it'll just suck in air.
  • Snorkel: The E airbox has a 3x3-ish hole by default (with the snorkel removed), doesn't yours?
  • Brakes: Take pictures, we'll help! ;)
  • Maintenance other than engine oil: Check the chain for wear, lube it up, possibly change coolant to fresh one, check & possibly replace air filter, check valve clearance.
  • FCR: Yes! All hail to it's flat-slide-ous glory!
  • Idle: Weird, mine does something like that too. A bit like hanging idle, but then again it shouldn't be. For adjusting the idle RPM (should be ~1800), there's a screw on the bottom left side of the carb - in is more, out is less.
  • Cam chain tensioner: Manual one has a screw, auto one doesn't have anything that looks externally adjustable.
  • Bark busters: Just take off the red plastic for the time being, if it matters to you. The metal part will protect the levers from damage in case of falling (which isn't that unlikely if you're going to put the E to its true purpose ;))...

Doesn't the safari tank bother you? It sure comes in handy for riding around the world and stuff, but for off-roading I think all the extra gas would add too much weight...

Edited by Paul_

Pics are kinda hard with the 28 liter tank.

Ill do my best.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391837774.391910.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391837879.672594.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391837924.602269.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391838034.172937.jpg

I could look completely stupid in a second,

Pretty sure this is the cam chain tensioner ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391838098.320226.jpg

2000 drz400E "Aussie"

The safari tank does annoy me :)

I brought the bike 4 hours ago :)

It came with 3 twin air filters,

1 spare stock tank without a tap,

1 with,

Rad guards

Bash plate

3 different front mud guards

The seller filled the fuel tank to the top so it would just be plain annoying to change it now. I may get annoyed and change it but I think ill wait till it gets to 10 litres and then siphon to a new tank.

2000 drz400E "Aussie"

Other than the first pic, the brakes look stock for an E model. I have an European E, and my front brake reservoir looks different from yours. Maybe you have the one that'd be on the European S? I heard the Australian E is kind of a mix of both E and S...

The carb, yep, that's a Keihin FCR 39!

As for the cam chain tensioner, it's the automatic one. Get yourself a manual one! ;) Good job on knowing what to look for and all that, you know a lot considering this is your first bike!

If you install one of the stock tanks, totally go for the rad guards. They're necessary for off-road. Also get some rad shrouds (plastics), I presume you didn't get those with the stock tank(s)?

Along with the bash plate, also consider putting on some case savers! They prevent rocks etc. from penetrating the pretty fragile engine sides. Could be that you already have some... Check whether the left and right side of your engine look like they've had metal plates stuck to them.

Edited by Paul_

Other than the first pic, the brakes look stock for an E model. I have an European E, and my front brake reservoir looks different from yours. Maybe you have the one that'd be on the European S? I heard the Australian E is kind of a mix of both E and S...

The carb, yep, that's a Keihin FCR 39!

As for the cam chain tensioner, it's the automatic one. Get yourself a manual one! ;) Good job on knowing what to look for and all that, you know a lot considering this is your first bike!

If you install one of the stock tanks, totally go for the rad guards. They're necessary for off-road. Also get some rad shrouds (plastics), I presume you didn't get those with the stock tank(s)?

Along with the bash plate, also consider putting on some case savers! They prevent rocks etc. from penetrating the pretty fragile engine sides. Could be that you already have some... Check whether the left and right side of your engine look like they've had metal plates stuck to them.

The rad guards are already on, the bash plate is also already on.

The two spare tanks came with shrouds.

I've been looking for a bike for a long time, researching what models will hold my 6'3" lanky frame(not many). Found the drz and that's what I settled on.

It will most likely get road tyres on the stock rims (front is rm250(apparently stronger)) because there is no chance i could afford a sm setup by July (get learner license)l

Another question.

I weigh 70-75kg and the suspension has apparently been "beefed up"

I have no idea how its suppose to feel when it's right so where do i start with the compression and rebound clickers? What do I look/feel for? How do I go about the whole thing?