Some questions

I got a 2013 Honda 250r last year. I love the bike it's amazing. This winter it needed a new piston and rings which cost me around 150$. Then the water pump went out which cost be around 100$. Then it went out again and it cost me another 50$. And then just standard maintenance which is around 20 a month. Me being a 4 stroke rider all my life I don't know a whole lot about 2 strokes.

I am interested in the 300. why are there like 2 different names for it. The ec and the xcw?

Do you have less maintenance on them or more?

Are they more reliable? Because where I ride if you break down you are going to be stuck for a long time!!

Now that I have done all this work to my 250r a dont really have a peace that I did when I got it. Do you all have a confidence that it will not break when you take a hard fall?

Thanks for your input!

There is basically two generations of names for bikes. 

SX- This designation has been around through both generations of names and it is the most motocross oriented of the models. Small tank, light flywheel, close ratio gear box, 19" wheels in the rear.

MXC- this is the first generation of names for the in between model. close ratio gear box, larger tank, 18" rear wheel, more trail oriented suspension settings.

XC - the later generation of the MXC.

EXC- The first genearation of the most trail oriented model. Larger tank like MXC, 18" rear wheel, WIDE RATIO gear box, even more so than the MXC trail oriented or gnarly trail oriented suspension settings. 

XC-W later generation of the EXC.

Ok that makes so much more sense.

The problem I have with my 250r is that's a super close gear ratio and its not meant for trail riding. And it doesn't really have much torc which you need for trail riding.

Ok that makes so much more sense.

The problem I have with my 250r is that's a super close gear ratio and its not meant for trail riding. And it doesn't really have much torc which you need for trail riding.

If you go from a 250 F to a 300 two stroke be prepared for a lot more torque and more horsepower everywhere, a lot!

And yes 2 strokes are cheaper and easier to maintain. If you are a moto racer only the SX would be your best bet. But they do not come as a 300, you would have to build it. If you ride trails and moto the XC would be a good choice and if you do mostly trails the XCW is a great choice.

Thanks

Yeah I am more of a trail rider

I went from a 2007 250X to a 2001 300 exc, am now riding a 2009 300 XCW. I really liked that Honda, like the 300 waaaay more….I am a trail rider like you.

IMO, the 300 require way less maintenance than the 250 r or x. There will be a learning curve if you get a 300 but once you figure it out they are an easier bike to ride. I just did a top end at 200 hours (lotso different opinions as to when this is necessary) and the piston still looked practically new. Cost was way under $200.

I got a 2013 Honda 250r last year. I love the bike it's amazing. This winter it needed a new piston and rings which cost me around 150$. Then the water pump went out which cost be around 100$. Then it went out again and it cost me another 50$. And then just standard maintenance which is around 20 a month. Me being a 4 stroke rider all my life I don't know a whole lot about 2 strokes.

I am interested in the 300. why are there like 2 different names for it. The ec and the xcw?

Do you have less maintenance on them or more?

Are they more reliable? Because where I ride if you break down you are going to be stuck for a long time!!

Now that I have done all this work to my 250r a dont really have a peace that I did when I got it. Do you all have a confidence that it will not break when you take a hard fall?

Thanks for your input!

Below is my maintenance schedule for my bike, KTM 300 XC-W.  I've never had a single thing go wrong with my bike that wasn't my fault, so I developed a maintenance system to prevent anything from going wrong and keeping the bike in perfect condition. 

The only thing related to it being a two stroke is the piston, which I do every 125 hours just as a precaution.  My friend Cleaner1 on TTalk just rebuilt his CR450F, a 2008 model, cost him $1100 just for parts.  He did all the work himself!!!  My top end cost me $180 shipped (piston, rings, wrist pin, gaskets).  And I much prefer the 300 smoker for the trails I ride.  Anyone I talk to (except Krannie, now TheKoolAidMadeMeSick) agrees the 300 is the most versatile dirt bike every made. 

The XC-W is the enduro bike with PDS linkless shock, and open chamber forks.  If you just want to ride and play around, this is your bike.  If you want to race and ride hardcore aggressive stuff, get the XC.. linkage shock, close chamber forks, more aggressive frame.  I wish I bought the XC in 2010.

So far as reliability is concerned, I've NEVER ONCE had a buddy break down on a two stroke, but I've had several break down on strokers.  Part of that is lack of maintenance, part is due to strokers being harder to maintain, more finicky and tempermental.

If a hard fall were to break my KTM 300 smoker, it would have been broken dead a long time ago.

Maintenance--bolt items are most important.  This is mostly preventative maintenance, for instance checking the bearings every time you ride so you don't ride on worn wheel bearings, thus destroying your wheel hubs.

Every item listed here has been an issue as some point in my 25 years of riding.  If you wait til you can feel something needs to be done, you waited too long.  Don't wait til your suspension is wallowing in the whoops, get it serviced before it's an issue!!

Every ride: WASH BIKE, LUBE CHAIN, lube foot peg springs, lube shifter spring, clean pipe and remove/clean the carbon fiber guard, check wheel bearings, check steering head bearings, check heim joint/shock bearings, check swingarm bearings, check chain and sprockets for wear, check spokes and wheels to make sure they are trued, remove wheels and regrease the axle/wheel spacers, take shop rag to clean the wheel hubs and rims, check brake pads, clean fork seals, bleed forks, CLEAN AIR FILTER, fill radiators, RETORQUE TRIPLE CLAMPS AND SHOCK, check damper and bracket for tightness

Every 10 hours: CHANGE GEAR OIL

Every 15 hours: Replace exhaust o-rings, antiseize chain adjuster bolts, grease and oil up estarter, grease damper post, grease brake pedal bushing, lube kickstarter pivot, grease kickstarter spline, grease kickstand bushing, grease shifter spline, bleed brakes, grease shock and heim joint bushings

Every 25 hours: Bleed clutch, bleed steering damper, grease swingarm axle, grease steering head

Every 50 hours: Rebuild shock, service forks

Every 125 hours: Replace top end, clean power valve

Great info LOP - Since you mentioned it, I've never been on a ride where a 300 (or any other 2t) broke down either.

I thought they stopped making t strokes in 07

Honda did have you ever seen a Gas Gas Beta Sherco or a KTM?...Asia is off the Back!!!!

No I just got back into riding since I have two sons 5 year old rides 50 pro senior my 7 year old rides ttr 110 I ride 2013 ktm 250sx when I was looking I wanted new cr or kx 500 found out only two stroke that was up to date and for my liking was ktm I went to local Honda dealer because I wanted 500 or 250 two stroke there said there stopped making them hens the ktm

Ktm makes the best two strokes in my opinion.

Ktm makes the best two strokes in my opinion.

Your opinion happens to be fact!

I remember hearing in the mid 2000s that its were not gonna be imported to the US after 09 or so…..Obviously that hasn't happened. Honda stopped making theirs,

Don't follow the other Jap bikes -  think Yami and Saz as well..

KTM went full ahead with 2t R & D and has the market…..Their 300s was their best seller….Maybe the 350exc sells more now, I dunno..

One thing for sure, KTM won't dicker price wise as their above mentioned new models always sell out quickly.

Will be interesting to see if Husquaberg does the same thing.

Edited by dyrtmon

Well i'm glad someone did. Nothing like the sound and smell of two stroke oil burning.

Well i'm glad someone did. Nothing like the sound and smell of two stroke oil burning.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392143134.567230.jpgYep. There is no market for two strokes. I am one of the 300 owners that think it is an extremely versatile bike

Yes seems we're last of a dying breed. Its weird for me when I was young four strokes were for the guys who couldn't ride..., Now the tracks are mostly set up for them.. I hear and see them at the track they are fast.. To me I'm to dam stubborn I had to go two stroke even though four might have been better for me I still like trying to hang on when that power band hits.

Yes seems we're last of a dying breed. Its weird for me when I was young four strokes were for the guys who couldn't ride..., Now the tracks are mostly set up for them.. I hear and see them at the track they are fast.. To me I'm to dam stubborn I had to go two stroke even though four might have been better for me I still like trying to hang on when that power band hits.

I don't necessarily agree with you're comment of us being a dying breed…Last week I rode with 5 other folks, all of us were on 3hundos (one a Husaberg), and in Northern Kawlifownia where I ride 300s (and 200s to a lesser extent) are everywhere. 

A few days ago I was riding with a guy on a Husky 450 and after a few hours he commented on how my bike was so quiet and the motor sounded like an electric motor……He was totally amazed….I think it was the first time he rode with someone on a 300  :jawdrop: