Time spent working on bike

I'm wanting to know how often you tinker on your bike and how many hours per month you spend fixing and maintaining your ride.

Depends totally on your ride, and how much you ride. I start with manufactures recommended intervals, then adjust based on experience with that bike. I usually change oil and clean air filters more frequently, but check valves less frequently based on my perceptions of need. But sometimes I go out to the shop and just gotta putter. Maybe 2 Hours a week for me, 2 bikes. Not counting majors.

Mike

I have been trying to ride every weekend and spend a few minutes to an hour every other day just tinkering around in the garage. Usually maint. stuff and cleaning. (I know I know it's a dirt bike lol) but I like to start each ride with a fresh clean ready to ride bike. Even if I am not up to the same level lol

I go out there often to work on the cars even if I am not swinging a wrench on the bike. But this year it has really grabbed my attention.

Edited by izcain

I work on it at regular maintenance intervals from the manufacturer suggested ones.

I maintain it every ride and check everything. Lube the chain, check the filter, check the wheels, sprocket wear, check fork seals to make sure they aren't leaking, and make sure the steering head bearings aren't bad, which I found out they are.

Anyone know how much the bearings and seals cost all together?

I only trail ride and use two stroke bikes that i bought "set up" already by P.O. This lets me ride with just a few minutes of working on the bikes. The last couple bikes i've bought came with new tires and extra air filters so i pretty much just clean and ride.

i just enjoy working on my bikes after work , even when theres nothing really to do on them its relaxing and cheaper than therapy.

Thats how i feel.  I can go in the garage and tinker away all night.  makes the woman mad but whatever i like it.  Keeps me from going crazy.

• Like 1

in total?

this is on an 09 by the way

about 400x what i spend riding it.

started revalving, and trying different spring rates.

machined custom tripple clamps and scotts dampner mount.

machined my own foot peg brackets

blewup the trans, lost 5th gear.

modified a new 5th gear machined a spacer

while it was apart i modified the cylinder machined 0.004" off the deck. to achieve proper squish.

while it was in there it got a 12.5-1 cp piston i ordered it directly from them and had them drill lateral gas ports.

with the deck milling it should be around 12.8-1

ported the head myself but only barley cleaned up a few patches

placed 0.002" shim stock around all linkage and shock bolts

bought an 800$ slipper clutch for 300$ because it needed some lathework due to somebody prying on it when installing it.

machined my swing arm slot 0.2" further forwards to run the rear axle slammed.

even machined my own little shifter tip extender to accomodate my size 12s.

and just plain screwing around with stuff like putting fuel cell foam in my gas tank.

new plastics and graphics all the time

repacking exhaust

the things im always doing,

bleeding brakes,

changing oil,

removing the chain before a wash,

scrubbing both sprockets spotless and cleaning my chain surgical clean

clean airfilter, well actually both air filters i have 2 in rotation.

greasing my linkage

but i just did two rides with out doing anything other than checking oil and water :( felt horrible to neglect her so!

IMAG1506_zps5588dd40.jpg

now i gotta do,

oils,

filter,

air filter.

wash her,

replace an air box cover decal,

take care of my stinking fork seal leak

build my tall boy seat, from a spare i have.

bleed my brakes

ugh replace my chain and sprockets :(

probably a sunstar rear and regina x ring.

also i want to pick up a 43mm throttle body with progressive link from a kxf450 to test it out.

Edited by englertracing

Thats how i feel.  I can go in the garage and tinker away all night.  makes the woman mad but whatever i like it.  Keeps me from going crazy.

Tell her that until she's okay with you buying parts to upgrade her, you'll keep right on tinkering with the toys.

Tell her that until she's okay with you buying parts to upgrade her, you'll keep right on tinkering with the toys.

that's why I started this thread. The wife says I spend to much time with the bike. I did just get it and I have changed out the fork oil, coolant, checked valves, pulled subframe off and greased all linkage and bearings, tore apart and cleaned carb, Set sag, Lubbed cables. I have had it stripped down to bare frame and engine. Now I'm replacing the crank seal due to oil migration. The way I see it is that the more I do now, the less expensive it will be in the long run. Replacing or maintaining now is better than blowing up down the road

that's why I started this thread. The wife says I spend to much time with the bike. I did just get it and I have changed out the fork oil, coolant, checked valves, pulled subframe off and greased all linkage and bearings, tore apart and cleaned carb, Set sag, Lubbed cables. I have had it stripped down to bare frame and engine. Now I'm replacing the crank seal due to oil migration. The way I see it is that the more I do now, the less expensive it will be in the long run. Replacing or maintaining now is better than blowing up down the road

my chick gets mad if i don't work on my bike.

when I go out to the garrage shes either handing me wrenches, sticking her skinny little hands where i cant reach something, or organizing the tool box, taking out the trash, sweeping up around the mill and lathe, or cleaning parts, sometimes she disappears to the kitchen and then shows up with milk and a sammich!!!

your telling me you poor bastards get in trouble for working on your bike,,,

if im feeling lazy my lady makes me feel guilty for not working on my bike!