Replacement carb for 1997 yz250 suggestions please...

Currently doing a full rebuild of my yz and the carb is border lining junk. Stripped threads, broken screw, worn out slide, missing vent hoses and I'm suspicious of the choke not working (super hard to start cold, but when warmed up is one kick). Just a basket case of a carb, and a basically new bike shouldn't be running a crappy carb IMO. (PO did all of the damage, a machinist such as myself wouldn't abuse threads and bolts like that)

What should I be looking for in a new one? I'm new to engine work and not familiar with the different brands.

The rest of the bike is stock minus the Fatty pipe, Boyesen rad valve and a UNI air filter. Gonna have the top end rebuilt (keeping it as a 250) and I'm doing the transmission and bottom end myself with help from an experienced friend and a manual. Aftermarket suggestions would be great, but I'm mainly only gonna be riding woods, so maybe a different year stocker would be ideal? From my research, the Mikuni was regarded as not the best stock carb.

With my current research, I have concluded that Smart Carb is out of my price range. I could spend $250 on a carb and be comfortable with the wallet impact. Maybe a bit more if there is something obviously superior for a casual rider. I'm not gonna be racing, ever, and have no plans for track riding. Purely trails and maaaaaaaybe sand in the distant future.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the novel! Looking forward to your suggestions:)

I have the Mikuni vm38ss on my wr250, and I hate it. I am planning on doing a carb swap myself.

From everything I've read, the keihin pwk38as is the carb to have (short of lectron/smartcarb). The keihin pwk38 is a pretty standard carb on 250's and the as stands for airstriker. For about $200 you can get a brand new one.

Edited by 97wr250

I have the Mikuni vm38ss on my wr250, and I hate it. I am planning on doing a carb swap myself.

From everything I've read, the keihin pwk38as is the carb to have (short of lectron/smartcarb). The keihin pwk38 is a pretty standard carb on 250's and the as stands for airstriker. For about $200 you can get a brand new one.

Sweet, thanks for the suggestion! That name came up when I was researching the other day. Is it a straight up swap-in conversion? I won't have to get a different year throttle cable style or different size boots for the air box or rad valve?

I cannot comment on air boots and such. I do know for my 97 wr250 you need a throttle cable from a 96-98 yz250 to swap the keihin. I plan on doing the swap this year myself.

I cannot comment on air boots and such. I do know for my 97 wr250 you need a throttle cable from a 96-98 yz250 to swap the keihin. I plan on doing the swap this year myself.

Seems like we would have the same stock cables since we have basically the same bike down to the carbs and year of manufacture (mines actually a 93, but the engine and fuel stuff is 97). I guess I'll find out if my 97 yz250 cable will work. If it doesn't, then it's not a huge deal to get a different one.

What is the huge difference between the YZ and the WR, btw? The manual that I have is for both bikes and only a few little things are different so far.

Thanks for your input btw! The manual I have includes instructions for both the screw top keihin carb, the Mikuni and one other carb, so maybe the boots are the same across that year span surrounding the Mikuni carb. I'll have to dig around and find some part numbers.

Seems like we would have the same stock cables since we have basically the same bike down to the carbs and year of manufacture (mines actually a 93, but the engine and fuel stuff is 97). I guess I'll find out if my 97 yz250 cable will work. If it doesn't, then it's not a huge deal to get a different one.

What is the huge difference between the YZ and the WR, btw? The manual that I have is for both bikes and only a few little things are different so far.

Thanks for your input btw! The manual I have includes instructions for both the screw top keihin carb, the Mikuni and one other carb, so maybe the boots are the same across that year span surrounding the Mikuni carb. I'll have to dig around and find some part numbers.

While they are the same year, they are not the same at all. My 1997 WR is left over parts from 1994. The 96-98 YZ is totally different from my bike. IF your cable is from a 97 it will work with the keihin.

The obvious difference is the wide ratio transmission. WRs also have 18" rear wheel, larger fuel tank, kick stand, lighting coil, and a heavier flywheel.

I was under the impression the 96-98 YZ had a keihen pwk38 stock, but I could be wrong. Before that the YZ and WR used the junky mikuni.

While they are the same year, they are not the same at all. My 1997 WR is left over parts from 1994. The 96-98 YZ is totally different from my bike. IF your cable is from a 97 it will work with the keihin.

The obvious difference is the wide ratio transmission. WRs also have 18" rear wheel, larger fuel tank, kick stand, lighting coil, and a heavier flywheel.

I was under the impression the 96-98 YZ had a keihen pwk38 stock, but I could be wrong. Before that the YZ and WR used the junky mikuni.

The 96 and 98 have the keihin pwm.

source: I own both :p

Thanks for the info! And upon scouring eBay looking at carbs, and the years stated on the ads, for these bikes: I actually ended up with a 1992/1993 style Mikuni tm carb on my bike! I'm now on the hunt for a proper Keihin pwk38 setup! Guess I'll be needing a new cable :p

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated! Good luck on your swap.

I have a pwk 38mm airstriker and love it. It's on my 97 Yz 250 with gnarly pipe and 98 cdi box

I think the airstriker is cheapest from honda. 2000 cr 250 . under 200$