GoPro H3 poor battery life - solved

So I don't know who else has this problem but it bugged the hell out of me. I would be riding along. do some thing awesome, crash or any thing else worth getting on camera. I look down at my go pro and the battery had died long ago....

These batteries are sadly underpowered. at most they last 1.5 hours. in the cold its even less and at 20$ a pop you have to spend 100$ or more to be able to recored an entire days ride. On top of that who wants to be changing out batteries every hour....

So here is what I came up with.

I found a Dummy battery. drilled a hole in the back of the go pro cover and fed the wire threw a grommet. This keeps it snow tight (not water tight) I then made a barrel plug connection from a 15Ah (Equal to roughly 15x standard gopro batteries) battery. Im guessing battery life will be between 13-15 hours. Enough for two days worth of riding. Ill run out of storage long before I run out of battery power!

The Dummy Battery came from Cam-do.com
and the 3.7V Battery came from Batteryspace.com

null_zps1cd8881a.jpg
null_zps5e4116cc.jpg
null_zps05e3f90c.jpg
null_zps9e4d50f6.jpg
null_zps664ff61c.jpg

Edited by MrDieselTwitch
  • Like 1

Neat fix. One of the things that's put me off getting a go pro for a long time has been that the battery will dead well before the end of my ride / race. I guess you could use a bit of silicone to seal the hole making it waterproof too eh ?.

I also would like to know where the dummy battery came from.  To me... that is the crux of this whole modification and a detail that you sort of just skimmed over. 

Great Idea though.

Hahah sorry I wrote my post late in the evening

The Dummy Battery came from Cam-do.com

and the 3.7V Battery came from Batteryspace.com

Edited by MrDieselTwitch
  • Like 1

Neat fix. One of the things that's put me off getting a go pro for a long time has been that the battery will dead well before the end of my ride / race. I guess you could use a bit of silicone to seal the hole making it waterproof too eh ?.

Its defiantly water tight for racing, puddles, ponds, rivers and rain. Now if you scuba diving in the ocean.... no

• Like 1