Sign in to follow this  

Tm racing 400 no spark!

Hi brought a 03

tm 400 last week and was all running fine first time I went out, true animal... Got it home gave her a good clean and she started fine after but put it away for a few days. When I got it back out no luck firing up pulled plug and put new one in and nothing no hint of life not even the slightest of electric shock when I touch the plug? Battery is fully charged and turns engine over fine.... Doesn't even show life on the kick start so stripped all the wires of the bike (ovi I tryed kill switch before I done this) none off the wires where earthing out no wires showing am truely baffled I got the multimeter out and tested the stator wires... Readings I got on all wires where between 0.01-0.02 ohms dont have a clue if thats any good or not really am stuck dont no why it wony spark any other ideas??

1391871551393.jpg

sounds like water got in the CDI/ignition coil or wire/plug cap . start with the high voltage parts (cap, wire, coil, plug) first. remove, and use a hair dryer to dry them out. it might take a while to bake out a ignition coil. in any case, you should replace the wire/coil/cap/plug, if you suspect they are cracked. if that didn't help, disconnect and dry any suspect connectors, and finally the ignition module/ECU and check to see that you get output on the stator, while cranking. 

BTW, you didn't say that you pressure washed, but pressure washing will force water into seals, try to avoid it.

Cheers yes will defo give that hair dryer trick ago I only washed with a hose soap and sponge no pressure washer! Really dont want to be replacing the cdi or stator becuase ive just checked how much they are!

Cheers yes will defo give that hair dryer trick ago I only washed with a hose soap and sponge no pressure washer! Really dont want to be replacing the cdi or stator becuase ive just checked how much they are!

most likely it's just the plug wire/cap, which are cheap. if the CDI has cracks, you can seal them with epoxy, once it's dry.

most likely it's just the plug wire/cap, which are cheap. if the CDI has cracks, you can seal them with epoxy, once it's dry.

hope so! Ive chopped the plug wire a little to give both points fresh wire and cdi has no cracks thankfully! Do you know if the stator readings. Of 0.01-0.02 are good electrics and maths really arnt my strong point lol!

hope so! Ive chopped the plug wire a little to give both points fresh wire and cdi has no cracks thankfully! Do you know if the stator readings. Of 0.01-0.02 are good electrics and maths really arnt my strong point lol!

a service manual should list the resistances for the stator coils (and CDI / ignition coil)  and the voltage they output during crank/starting. 

Cheers will try if all else fails its usually something silly like that! Ive chopped both ends of the ht lead down anyway hoping that will do something!

Have replied to your question on TM Forum with info plus can email wiring diagram if you want it.

Cheers

Have replied to your question on TM Forum with info plus can email wiring diagram if you want it.

Cheers

yes have read that thanks very much seems like my stator isn't giving enough power then! Cheers

Where can I find the TM forum?

i typed in tm forum uk in google and found it all the tm forums are virtually dead though lol

Also check all the wiring harness connectors. I have seen a flywheel with the magnet insert loose as well. This affects the phasing and the CDI will not fire.

Hi guys, same bike, similar problem.

When kick starting the bike, no spark. I've tested coil-to-plug wiring - OK, starter non operational (probably clutch), Battery OK and is being charged when bike is running.

BUT, when we haul it with another bike, it has to be town in at least 2nd gear, at moderate speed, for TM to fire up and work normally.

Therefore I made a video, showing spark is present, when I disconnect and connect the positive feed cable to the ignition coil. But no spark, when kick starting.

it's friend's bike, which I need to fix or at least locate problem, so he can vanish it from my garage, as I desperately need space for baby carriage.

Hi guys, same bike, similar problem.

When kick starting the bike, no spark. I've tested coil-to-plug wiring - OK, starter non operational (probably clutch), Battery OK and is being charged when bike is running.

BUT, when we haul it with another bike, it has to be town in at least 2nd gear, at moderate speed, for TM to fire up and work normally.

Therefore I made a video, showing spark is present, when I disconnect and connect the positive feed cable to the ignition coil. But no spark, when kick starting.

it's friend's bike, which I need to fix or at least locate problem, so he can vanish it from my garage, as I desperately need space for baby carriage.

Sounds like a stator problem to me mate im no expert though lol test all the wires from stator to plug even check the woodruff key!

Not sure on the mechanical part problem like woodruff.

After some time of haul starting, bike began to kick start normally, but it is not the case anymore.

It seems like it needs a major electrical hit for some part to get enough juice to start the bike. Then it idles and pulls just fine, untill you stall or stop it.

So mechanics like rotor phasing are OK.

Did you see the spark in the video? wiring is OK, bike works when it is started by towing.

My experience with these bikes is the wiring connectors get progressively worse over time. I have solved a few of these problems by soldering bypass wires to test. That way you still have the original harness in tact.

If that solves your problem then replace the wiring harness.