xr650l starting problem

Its a 2002.. It will start cold... after a while riding it.. i shut it off and when i go back to start it.. nothing... it just cranks,dosent fire.. now if i turn the key on and off a couple dozen times and try to start it.. it will start right up...

do i have a key ignition problem? will it fix it just by replacing the whole thing?

has anyone else have this problem?

its frustrating!

thanks

Take the CDI out,flip ot over and smack thje back of it all over quite hard with a screwdriver handle,,,if it runs the CDI needs repair or replacement...

The CDI is the main failure point..

Other issues:

Ground under seat getting corroded(clean it and the frame)

Kill switch dirty

Pulse generator

Sidestand switch

These are the most common depending on how old and how many miles the bike has..

B

Edited by brianhare

I had a CDI fail and know directly of another person who had one fail. I'd say it is the most common ignition failure on an otherwise good running bike.

You should check it first.

Thanks for the replys. but if the CDI is bad, wont it just go? This bike has 14000 miles on it.. it has been doing this for quite a while.. I even noticed it happening once a long time ago.. it doesnt do it all the time.. seems to just come and go.. thats why im thinking its the switch because when i flip it on and off a dozen times, trying to start it after 4 or 5 flips.. it starts..

Ill check the CDI.. but the problem isnt consistant

Thanks for the replys. but if the CDI is bad, wont it just go? This bike has 14000 miles on it.. it has been doing this for quite a while.. I even noticed it happening once a long time ago.. it doesnt do it all the time.. seems to just come and go.. thats why im thinking its the switch because when i flip it on and off a dozen times, trying to start it after 4 or 5 flips.. it starts..

Ill check the CDI.. but the problem isnt consistant

I have had 2 CDI units fail on my Honda XR650L, and 3 CDI units fail on my Zongshen 200GY-2. <_<  In every instance the CDI unit failed intermittently before if finally died outright.  I strongly encourage you to purchase a new, spare CDI unit for your XR650L.  If you have a spare, you can go riding instead of waiting for a replacement to arrive.  Also, having a spare CDI unit greatly facilitates troubleshooting the electrical system. ;)

I have had 2 CDI units fail on my Honda XR650L, and 3 CDI units fail on my Zongshen 200GY-2. <_<  In every instance the CDI unit failed intermittently before if finally died outright.  I strongly encourage you to purchase a new, spare CDI unit for your XR650L.  If you have a spare, you can go riding instead of waiting for a replacement to arrive.  Also, having a spare CDI unit greatly facilitates troubleshooting the electrical system. ;)

I've had a CDI failure and a Pulse Generator failure.  Both were generally problems when the bike was hot but not when cold.  Until it became a problem when cold and the bike wouldn't start at all.

I've also noticed that if you turn off a hot bike and then try to restart it after waiting five to twenty minutes, it will often be hard to start because of a rich fuel mixture which I'm guessing comes from the hot carburetor.  If I shut the fuel off a little ways before turning off the bike I don't have that issue.  So turning off the fuel has become almost like a superstition with me as part of the bike shutdown procedure.  I know that Ed Hertfelder had mentioned this more than once when he started riding an XR650L and wrote about it in the Duct Tapes articles.

Yes, the CDI can be an intermittent problem, then it will just go out completely at the worst possible time. That was the only time I had to haul my bike.

That is just electronics for you; it is nothing new. I've had HEI modules go out the same way on GM cars, except they used to cost less than $15 and could be bought at any backwoods parts store.

I will try all of the above suggestions.. I know it must be one of them.

Thanks for all the help.This is a great site