Sign in to follow this  

04 CRF250 will only kick up with a specific sequence

Hi, 

Ive had trouble kicking my 250 from cold and thought it was the valves, but they are fine. The bike bumps really easy, and I have now learnt how to kick it using a certain method;

petrol and choke on,

kick the bike over a few times,

find top dead centre when the cam clicks

pull the throttle a few times to fuel the carb

and then kick!

the bike will 7/10 start this way.

Can anybody tell me what seems to be wrong with the setup, is there anything a can alter for the bike to start easy?

I have read alot of threads saying there is just a certain nack to kicking them- but surely it shouldnt be that complicated??

Cheers!!

Mine likes chokes on. Four blips of throttle and top of cam tink. Starts on second or third kick cold.

exactly what i do.  starts first or second kick.  but every now and then it wont start for me in the beginning of the day and ill have to bump it

Same with mine, and it absolutely needs new gas in it if you don't want to be out for an hour trying to start it.

Surely its not right for them to have to be kicked like this though. I have read somewhere people grinding the auto-decompression cam down which is meant to help it start. You would have thought Honda would have designed it to kick up easy enough ey!

This is what my manual says.

1. Turn the fuel valve on.

2. Shift the transmission into neutral.

3. If below 95*F, pull the choke knob.

4. If below 32*F, open the throttle two or three times.

5. With the throttle fully closed, kick the bike over with a rapid, continuous motion. Do not open the throttle or you will flood the engine.

6. Push in choke knob after one minute.

I and most everyone I know does step number 4 no matter what.