Pro Circuit Products? I Don't Think So...

I emailed Pro Circuit this week to get some information on their high compression pistons. I was curious to know what the compression ratio was on a specific piston. Here's the reply I received:

---------------------------------------

"Thank you for your interest in Pro-Circuit product.

Unfortunately we do not give any of our specification to the public but our high compression piston increases about 1.0 vs the stock piston.

Let me know if you have any question. Thank you..

Regards"

This is rather laughable. I certainly won't purchase a product for my engine without knowing it's specs. Not to mention, they charge almost double what the other high end piston manufacturers charge. 

---------------------------------------

I figure they do this for one of three reasons-

1. They're ultra paranoid that someone will copy their product.

2. Their product is inferior to others.

3. They're too arrogant to see past their pants.

Whatever it is, I won't be using Pro Circuit products.

Because Pro Circuit products aren't time tested in their quality...

Edited by BoxcarWilly

how are you going to say they are inferior?   get over being all butthurt and go buy something else if your that mad

Compression is also affected by changes in deck and cam. I would like to think if you asked a specific question (make/model/year/cam/deck/stroke/combustion chamber, you'd get a specific answer. However, if you ask a specific question (meaing you have the data), doing the math is not that hard to get the answer on your own. Most likely, you emailed a CSR and they have a set of canned responses.

563ripper: Relax, don't get your panties in a wad. Sounds like you need to get out and ride.

563ripper: Relax, don't get your panties in a wad. Sounds like you need to get out and ride.

you may be right haha.  havent ridden in like 2 months.  to much snow

Compression is also affected by changes in deck and cam. I would like to think if you asked a specific question (make/model/year/cam/deck/stroke/combustion chamber, you'd get a specific answer. However, if you ask a specific question (meaing you have the data), doing the math is not that hard to get the answer on your own. Most likely, you emailed a CSR and they have a set of canned responses.

William 1: Good point. Here's the question I asked (in an email) both Sales and technical support: "I have a 2006 Honda CRF250r that has a fully stock motor with Ti4 dual exhaust. The stock compression ratio is 12.9:1. I'm considering installing one of your high compression pistons and would like to know what the compression ratio is for my application."

But, based on their initial response, I don't think they're going to offer any info whatsoever.

you may be right haha.  havent ridden in like 2 months.  to much snow

Same here. 12" on the ground. Sucks!

If someone wanted to copy their piston they'd just buy one and copy it I'd think

I suggest a cp piston.

They gave you the answer you wanted. 1 point above stock.

You have 12.9:1 and theirs will make it 13.9:1.

Why get all butt hurt about it?

They said about 1.0. About 1 and 1 are pretty different haha

They gave you the answer you wanted. 1 point above stock.

You have 12.9:1 and theirs will make it 13.9:1.

Why get all butt hurt about it?

Here we go again, another insisting I'm butt hurt. Can't you get a little more creative? I sure hope you don't do your own work. "about 1" isn't a sufficient answer. Why is it, CP, JE and others will give me exact specs.

Here we go again, another insisting I'm butt hurt. Can't you get a little more creative? I sure hope you don't do your own work. "about 1" isn't a sufficient answer. Why is it, CP, JE and others will give me exact specs.

You didn't give them exact specs so why should they?

What is your exact head CCs?

Squish?

What base and head gaskets do you plan on using?

Without all that they are guessing. Don't pretend to know it all and slam a company that has built the motors of 3 Supercross wins this year and countless others. I think maybe Mitch and his guys know a little about building motorcycle engines.

Maybe they know better than to give exact specs without all of the information required for such specs.

You didn't give them exact specs so why should they?

What is your exact head CCs?

Squish?

What base and head gaskets do you plan on using?

Without all that they are guessing. Don't pretend to know it all and slam a company that has built the motors of 3 Supercross wins this year and countless others. I think maybe Mitch and his guys know a little about building motorcycle engines.

Maybe they know better than to give exact specs without all of the information required for such specs.

Thread closed.

William 1: Good point. Here's the question I asked (in an email) both Sales and technical support: "I have a 2006 Honda CRF250r that has a fully stock motor with Ti4 dual exhaust. The stock compression ratio is 12.9:1. I'm considering installing one of your high compression pistons and would like to know what the compression ratio is for my application."

But, based on their initial response, I don't think they're going to offer any info whatsoever.

From what I see here is your compression ratio is going to be 13.9:1

I don't believe I would want more than a 14-15:1 ratio at most due to rod fatigue!

As William 1 said you could achieve the same thing with deck height and cam timing and duration.

Are you porting and polishing cylinder also?

Just increasing compression isn't going to give huge gains on its own.

Thread closed.

End all. Haha.