Won't Start

Yes im afraid this is another "Help wont start!!" post but I have done basically everything. I have a KLR 250. It sat for a couple years (with gas) and recently I wanted to get it up and running. took the carb out and cleaned it (Boiled in hot water then blew out the needles and other areas with air compressor) and I also took out the air filter and cleaned that. After doing this I attempted to start it, after a couple kicks, the gauges and front light would light up and the engine would rev, but then immediately die. Then it would not do this again for about an hour. I considered changing the spark plug but if it was a problem with the spark plug wouldn't the bike not start at all? Is the idle maybe to high or to low? how would I change that? Was I wrong about it being a problem with the spark plug? Any help is appreciated.

Question, this may be a stupid question... but did you boil the whole carb or did you take it apart? If you took it apart which pieces did you boil? Another question. Is the fuel petcock open? I have done that before when I tried to start the bike and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start only to find I had forgotten to open the petcock... ha

Question, this may be a stupid question... but did you boil the whole carb or did you take it apart? If you took it apart which pieces did you boil? Another question. Is the fuel petcock open? I have done that before when I tried to start the bike and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start only to find I had forgotten to open the petcock... ha

I took out the rubber piece that fits over the top and boiled the rest. It now starts but only runs for about 30 seconds (enough time for me to ride it down the block) and then dies. I cant start it again for about 5 minutes. Im assuming that there is too much fuel being released into the carb. 

Im not sure to be honest, but the rubber piece i think you're refering to is the float.. if thats all you took out you may have damaged the needle or something but im not to sure i've never tried boiling a carb i usually clean it thouroughly with carb cleaner

Are you sure you are getting a good flow of gas from the tank ? What does your plug look like after it dies ?

That really sounds like the float level may have been screwed up accidentally and the engine is being starved for gas.

If I read your post right it sounds like you submerged your carb in boiling water and at some point retrieved it and used air pressure to blow out the various circuits. The problem with that is water is very difficult to remove and tends to find a place to lay and cause the kind of issues you are describing. I am thinking you are going to have to take the carb off, completely disassemble it, use carb cleaner rather than water, blow dry areas that can handle air pressure, and reassemble. It is easier to make your float level adjustment with the carb off the bike. Upon reassembly on bike make sure you do not pinch any of the plastic lines that are on the carb. I would take the tank off and dump out all of the old gas and also take the petcock assembly apart to make sure there is not any foreign matter built up in it. Put tank back on bike and pour in a little fresh gas. 

You did not mention it but I hope you changed the oil and filter as part of your routine in getting a bike that has been stored for a couple of years ready to ride. Although I do not believe this has anything to do with the problem, condensation can build up in lots of places.  

Take it out for a ride and let us know how it went.

I have had the same thing happen on my 300. It was a combo of blocked pilot, stuck float valve and overall dirty jets from sitting in old fuel (forgot to drain bowl) What you're describing makes me wonder if your fuel supply, between tank and carb could be hindered as well. I fixed my problems by taking the entire carb apart and very thoroughly cleaning the jets and bowl with carb cleaner. I even sprayed some into a HDPE container to create a little pool and soaked the jets in it for about 20 mins. I also bought a carb rebuild kit for it. It was like 30 bucks. Sounds like a lot, but it comes with bowl gasket, pilot screw and associated parts and a new float valve.  the OEM float valve costs as much as the kit itself. I did all that and now she runs like a champ. Also don't forget to clean out the air cut valve and associated parts too. It's on the left hand side of the carb, its a conical, round, ear looking piece. Make sure your float valve can move freely and the floats are in good shape.

I looked in the TT online shop but didn't see the kit. you can get the carb kit here.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Reviews/2898/25572/K-&-L-Carburetor-Rebuild-Kit

Oh and one word of advice, the rubber diaphragm that is attached to the slide, doesn't seem to like carb cleaner so be care full of that, those are like 120.00.

Good Luck!