Taking my 89 RMX to the dance

I picked up my 89 RMX last summer with a seized motor for 200$. The magneto/flywheel rusted solid which in turn locked the crank. I picked up a used stator assembly as the original was in pieces upon removal. Good news is crank now rotates smooth as butter. Ordered a new piston today. I was planning on running my Beta this year in H/S series but I think the RMX will be my dance partner for the series. Should be fun. Never ridden it or heard it run but ...

I assume you have seen this video?

Nope had not seen it! But at least I know what they sound like. Awesome video.

That bike had some excellent tuning done by someone. My '90 did not run that good and it was very nice.

That bike had some excellent tuning done by someone. My '90 did not run that good and it was very nice.

Thats not encouraaging! Well either way, its a project. My Beta is dialed in quite nice so this gives me something to tinker with

Thats not encouraaging! Well either way, its a project. My Beta is dialed in quite nice so this gives me something to tinker with

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Rmx at all.

It sounds nice mostly because of the PC 304 silencer, but it's also jetted pretty good.  If you wanted to get crazy you could pitch the stock PJ carb and pick up either an older generation flat slide Mikuni TM or a newer Kehin PWK.  Both will make it run better.

The TM would be cheaper ( http://www.sudco.com/mikuni.html#tm )

If you went with a Kehin then pick one for an early 2000 KTM 250 EXC, the power is similiar so the jetting will be close out of the box.

Thanks for that video! That was great. I wonder what all was done to that bike, it was sounding very strong. I think it was flooded at the start.
Ive got an 89 project and a running 98 model. It will be my beast in the local hare scrambles this year!

Keep us updated Donjholt

Mine has an fmf fat an answer silencer. Trying to. decide on head gasket for rm or stock. Also I have an MT43 for the back and thinking about Kenda triple for front. I took the MT43 off my Beta for the winter and love the Kenda Triple on the back of that bike. Any thoughts. Thanks for the info on carbs. My thought is to get this thing to the h/s series ready to rock for under a grand. 200 for the bike. 150 staor n flywheel 100 piston 75 misc crap. It has brand new brake pads. 100 front tire 80 for 520 chain w 13/50 sprockets . Missing something?

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Rmx at all.

It's a dirtbike! Can't be disappointed. Have not found one or owned one yet that wasnt fun. I bought an xr200 for 50$ off the side of a barn. Tuned it up and honestly if it had better brakes id race it. Pin it over everything. If you lose momentum its over

Edited by Donjholt

Mine has an fmf fat an answer silencer. Trying to. decide on head gasket for rm or stock. Also I have an MT43 for the back and thinking about Kenda triple for front. I took the MT43 off my Beta for the winter and love the Kenda Triple on the back of that bike. Any thoughts. Thanks for the info on carbs. My thought is to get this thing to the h/s series ready to rock for under a grand. 200 for the bike. 150 staor n flywheel 100 piston 75 misc crap. It has brand new brake pads. 100 front tire 80 for 520 chain w 13/50 sprockets . Missing something?

A good set of bark busters

A good set of bark busters

have a set of cycras off my crf! But yep I def need them. My buddy snapped a set of alumilite bars off his yz426 and destroyed his levers first ever h/s

It sounds nice mostly because of the PC 304 silencer, but it's also jetted pretty good.  If you wanted to get crazy you could pitch the stock PJ carb and pick up either an older generation flat slide Mikuni TM or a newer Kehin PWK.  Both will make it run better.

The TM would be cheaper ( http://www.sudco.com/mikuni.html#tm )

If you went with a Kehin then pick one for an early 2000 KTM 250 EXC, the power is similiar so the jetting will be close out of the box.

:thumbsup:  I think you are right.

I hear good things about the JD jetting kit, Does anyone know if it solves the idling issue with the stock carb? The cost of it ($75) could go a long way towards a PWK a/s.

Thought Id trow a pic of mine in for good measure. I plan on opening things up and put in a fresh piston, pv service, reeds ect.

20130827_165833_zps9530b6d81.jpg

I hear good things about the JD jetting kit, Does anyone know if it solves the idling issue with the stock carb? The cost of it ($75) could go a long way towards a PWK a/s.

Thought Id trow a pic of mine in for good measure. I plan on opening things up and put in a fresh piston, pv service, reeds ect.

Very nice, glad you're not closer. I'd probably be throwing stupid money at you. Love those bikes and the last models were definitely improved in the motor dept.

It sounds nice mostly because of the PC 304 silencer, but it's also jetted pretty good. If you wanted to get crazy you could pitch the stock PJ carb and pick up either an older generation flat slide Mikuni TM or a newer Kehin PWK. Both will make it run better.

It has a Mikuni TM carb! May be pretty sweet. Looks like someone enjoyed it before I got it. Just ordered the pston and gasket kit

Trying to. decide on head gasket for rm or stock. A

RM gasket, I run 91 octane with the RM gasket no problems. I ditched the PJ and went with a PWK off ebay. Mine seems to be very tolerant with the jetting. Nice thing about the PWK is that it idles nicely, so if you have an auto-clutch that's a decided advantage. There's a lot of info on how to jet a PWK on TT and elsewhere as well.

Edited by CalRMX
CAM00220.jpgCAM00222.jpg

http://graphicmx.com/skit.shtml

Having a hard time deciding on graphics. I have a nice line on both sides of tank where old graphics were at that a razor blade heat and rubbing compound will not remove. I have a hhard time putting graphics on after the hours spent cleaning this bike. I can not find anyone creating the original graphics so its either skulls flames or the flag( which I am leaning toward)!