Why are bikes so dang expensive

My father and I went to a ktm store yesterday lookin at bikes for him and he really liked the 2014 300XC....until he found out it was $8,500! You can buy a small car for that price haha. We checked out financing and they wanted $250 a month for some amount of years I can't remember. That's ridiculous, I guess we'll just have to look for a good used bike. Can someone tell me why these bikes are so expensive? I just don't understand

there cheap when you look at the prices of other rhings you buy new

Only thing that matters is what the market will bear ...not what it costs them to make it. . . Econ101

Expensive is realtive. As is cheap.

Compared to mountain bikes and road bikes, they seem pretty reasonable!

Used is a good way to go.  I lucked into an almost mint condition 06' 300 for $3800 a few years back. Only had 400miles/20 hours on it.  Even had a carbon fiber pipe guard and a nice alu skid plate.

Edited by Colorado^

I wish the price of bikes would go up....

Bikes are expensive because everything fun is expensive.  

If you think bikes and parts are expensive where you live, come to Australia....

Bikes are expensive because everything fun is expensive.  

you got that right.  i havent found a fun hobby that doesnt cost alot yet haha

My father and I went to a ktm store yesterday lookin at bikes for him and he really liked the 2014 300XC....until he found out it was $8,500! You can buy a small car for that price haha. We checked out financing and they wanted $250 a month for some amount of years I can't remember. That's ridiculous, I guess we'll just have to look for a good used bike. Can someone tell me why these bikes are so expensive? I just don't understand

Okay, I'll give you $8,500 and you can design a dirtbike that lives up to KTM quality standards.

I wish the price of bikes would go up....

Wish granted.  I will sell you my 300 for $12K, but I'd be willing to negotiate a higher price (I'm a nice guy like that).

Wish granted.  I will sell you my 300 for $12K, but I'd be willing to negotiate a higher price (I'm a nice guy like that).

Serious!? How about $13k?

Serious!? How about $13k?

OK, but I'm keeping the scotts damper.

There expensive cause we love to ride and they know we will pay it. Just like gas at the pumps. They know we want it they we'll charge what they want. I'm hooked on riding like a crack head to crack

Not just motorcycles are getting expensive. My friend and his wife bought a new 2014 Carolla that was$18K. While at the dealer, a 2014 Toyota Avalon was $44K. :jawdrop: I bought my 2003 RAV-4 brand new out the door for

$15K while the new ones go for at least $25K now. I will never be able to buy a new car now.

Edited by racermx66

As some others have mentioned, as you get older, the hobbies get more expensive. I just updated my snowboard gear (after almost 18 years, riding the same set-up), and that was something close to a thousand bucks. Another saying that I love is "someone has to buy it new, so I can buy it used. It is a great deal if you don't really care about the new bike/car smell.

they are expensive until you get into something like boating .... you wana talk expensive fast ?  

For one, you were looking at a KTM junker. Two, since the world is more populated and everybody and their brother is discovering how much fun motorcycling is... Prices are going up. You can tell the increase in popularity by the increase in trash on the trails and destruction of the trails and campgrounds. Which makes the increase of fees greater for OHV tags.

A brand new dirt bike never use to cost more than $5,000. Now they are eclipsing $10,000 brand new.. Which is why I ride 20 year old POS Hondas. Any kind of recreation or hobby they're gonna price gouge you all they can because it's "optional".

I changed the oil on my truck today. Cost $25 for the parts and that was a special. I remember changing oil on my truck for $8....oil and filter included.. Seems like since Commrade Oreo got in office, they've hyper inflated all prices....

I only buy used bikes. New bikes are for people who can afford them.