Hi, new to bikes kinda and could use tips

Hi guys my names chris and im 15.. I just got my 2009 rm85 last week. Im 95lbs and 5'0 . Im kinda mechanically inclined so i just wanted to know if someone could list some things (maitnence) i should be doing. I know greasing parts and oil changes and fillters and stuff but i know theres more. So if somebody could post a list that would be great.. Illbe doing trail riding so i guess it would be good to know how often should i do top end jobs.. Thanks

HI Chirs, 

Do you have a manual for your bike? It will help a lot. You can find them for cheap on Ebay a lot of times, or find a PDF version and download it. 

Here is the basics of what I do, but I'm pretty inexperienced compared to a lot of guys on here;

Regularly (1-3 rides):

-          Chain maintenance

-          Air filter

-          Bleed forks

-          Check bolts

-          replace tranny fluid

-          Check tire pressure

-          Wash bike

Seasonally:

-          Replace/repack all bearings (steering stem, shock, linkage, swingarm, wheels)

-          Clean Power valve

-          Inspect Clutch/ replace clutch plates

As Needed:

-          Piston/rings (depends how much I’m riding, but your intervals on that mini will be more frequent, If you are fast, I think my buddy does his kids ring every 20 and piston at 40 hours)

-          Jetting

-          Reeds

-          Re-pack silencer (I do this twice a season usually)

-          lube cables

-          Replace chain/sprocket

-          Spoke adjustments 

-          Bleed brakes

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm pretty tired so something may be missing! Enjoy that bike!! 

Edited by Kenpo1

Alright cool thanks, to be honest i am really interested in working on engines and stuff and now that i have a bike i feel like its a great opportunity to learn more.. i've fully rebuilt top ends and stuff and old brigs and straton motors but now i have stuff like carbs and linkage and suspension and stuff i can learn to work with. Thanks for your response!! :ride:  :ride:

Alright cool thanks, to be honest i am really interested in working on engines and stuff and now that i have a bike i feel like its a great opportunity to learn more.. i've fully rebuilt top ends and stuff and old brigs and straton motors but now i have stuff like carbs and linkage and suspension and stuff i can learn to work with. Thanks for your response!! :ride:  :ride:

No problem. Get a manual, and use youtube. It's all on the internet!!