Sign in to follow this  

Crf 230 w/accelarator pump?

What would be the benefits of using one on a stock or modified 230?

What would be the benefits of using one on a stock or modified 230?

The reason I ask is I have horrible throttle bog and I have done the power up mods and opened up the exhaust. And still have horrible throttle bog

Try a 48 pilot, adjust idle mixture for fastest idle speed, readjust idle speed. Lower needle clip one notch.

ALSO:

Are valves adjusted properly?

Spark plug new?

Engine oil NOT over full?

Try a 48 pilot, adjust idle mixture for fastest idle speed, readjust idle speed. Lower needle clip one notch.

ALSO:

Are valves adjusted properly?

Spark plug new?

Engine oil NOT over full?

Thanks I will check and adjust accordingly

A properly-jetted CRF230 will have zero carb problems.  It is one of the most responsive bike engines I've ever ridden.  Our CRF230s will take a full handful of throttle in third gear at a very slow pace without a hitch.  If your CRF230 doesn't it is not properly jetted.

Always check your float level.  No amount of jetting and/or fiddling will make a carb work right if the float level is off.

Okay, so i changed the oil, cleaned the filter screen and added the proper amount, changed the spark plug, adjusted the valves. I also tore down the carb and found that it was a 48 pilot and 120 main. I kept the 120 main installed a 45 pilot dropped the clip one notch. 1 3/4 turn out on fuel screw.

The bike now has great response, however at high rpm full throttle its like something is holding the bike back it starts to sputter. I am also having an issue with the bikes idle its will rev high sometimes then low enough that it dies. Any advice?   Will an exhaust system play in to any of this?

A 120 is only slightly rich at sea level so you should be okay.  Sputtering is due to an overly-rich condition.  Are you sure the choke is all the way off?  Did you check the float level externally?  Hunting at idle or coming off throttle is typically due to an overly-lean condition.  A missing o-ring at the idle mixture screw will cause this.

Edited by VortecCPI

You using 100% non-Ethanol pump gas?

Or E-10 or E-15 or E-85 pump gas?

I think VortecCPI hit the nail on the head. Mixture screw o ring is gone?

Edited by adnohguy