Sign in to follow this  

Is this hole in the exhaust supposed to be there?

I recently looked at a 2011 DRZ in my area. It had sat for 4-5 weeks, so there was some white smoke out the exhaust for a few minutes, which I'm assuming is just some water condensation burning off. This in itself is probably fine, I think, but what it drew my attention to was the white smoke shooting downward out of a small hole in the bottom of the exhaust pipe, just above the rear tire. While it sat warming up, the top of the tire ended up with moisture on it.  The hole is perfectly round, no visible rust in the area.

I took a quick video which I'll try to attach or upload somewhere.

Edited by epalm

It's normal. my brand new 2013 S has it and its to drain excess moisture from the exhaust.  I started my bike today and the condensation build up was pretty crazy since its been sitting a lot. 

It's normal. my brand new 2013 S has it and its to drain excess moisture from the exhaust.  I started my bike today and the condensation build up was pretty crazy since its been sitting a lot. 

When condensation mixes with exhaust gases an acid is formed that WILL cause corrosion....so the holes is there to help reduce the build up .....

I had exhaust puffing out of mine, just this morning, on start up. When it began to clear, I knew I was good to take the choke off. :thumbsup:

I had exhaust puffing out of mine, just this morning, on start up. When it began to clear, I knew I was good to take the choke off. :thumbsup:

NOT a good indicator of when to turn the choke off. Turn it off as soon as the engine will run without choke.

NOT a good indicator of when to turn the choke off. Turn it off as soon as the engine will run without choke.

Perhaps not. But, it did coincide, this morning, with when I knew it was time to move from half-choke to no choke.