How to preserve marker?

Hi guys!

I just got home from a night at SX/Freestyle show in herning (DK) i bought at helmet there and got Robbie Maddison to sign it ?

The question is, how do i best preserve it? I think a clear coat will ruin the magic marker. Any ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391905531.345377.jpgexperience?

Clear packing tape that is wide enough to cover the whole thing in one piece. I would think it hard to try by using 2 pieces to get it matched up perfectly.  It would need to be pre-cut and applied carefully unless you don't mind trimming the excess carefully with a razor blade.  or clear coat something else first that has magic marker on it to test your theory.

Edited by bigbore2

I took the helmet to a paint shop, they gave it a try with plastic primer and a clear coat (on a test piece),

it didn't work. I think i'm gonna try talking to some local guys that makes decals for mx bikes, and see if

they can make a piece of clear vinyl to go over it.

Thanks for the answers!

I got the signature covered with some clear film. I was out riding today where I crashed 3 times, one of them over a jump. It still holds up nicely

When that clear gets trashed, it's gonna ruin the marker when ya try to pull it off. I figure it'll lift some off, lift sections, make it faded looking, etc. I would have just got a new helmet.

• 1 year later...