Sign in to follow this  

4 stroke to a 2 stroke

What difference would there be going from a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke? can you just jump on and ride or is it harder than that. I know that its not going to be the same i just want to know how different it will be. Is there anything that i should know before trying to ride a 2 stroke or is it pretty straight forward. I just don't want to make a fool of my self trying to ride one for the first time.

Thanks

Just get on and ride. You will feel immediately how the power/engine of a 2 st is different than a 4 st. as you ride it, but you will get how to use the 2 st engine.

Can I come and watch?

Edited by bigbore2
  • Like 3

Depends on the TYPE of 2-stroke it is. MX engines have a lot more hit than woods-ported ones. It also depends on how skilled a rider is. A total newb who just got the feel for a 4-stroke could have some trouble with the change. A guy who is totally comfortable with a 4-stroke shouldn't have any trouble at all. I don't have much seat time with woods motors but with an MX 2-stroke I'll typically keep revs toward the bottom end of the power band. That gives instant power bit keeps the wheel planted. High revs on an MX 2-stroke will usually break the tire loose.

Have fun kicking the 4 toke over. If you're an electric start then you're gold. You will like the torque on the 4 and like pretty much everything else on the 2. I went the opposite from 2 to 4 and I wasn't stoked at first. Now I love the thumper. But I miss the 2 stk zing. 

Edited by KDY

I just came off a Yamaha yz426f I liked that bike just wanted to change it up so I bought a 2011 200xcw. took me a few hours off riding to feel like I was half way decent and used to the bike. I am really liking it so far. I am riding on some stuff I ride my trials bike on and wouldn't have thought of taking my 426 on. It is not the tractor the 426 was and the front end is a little more un predictable on loose stuff. Also rear tire seems to break loose easier, where my 426 seemed to find better traction. It will take you a few hours to get a good feel and get comfortable on the 2 stoke but I really like mine and is really fun to ride. I ordered a fly wheel weight too which from what I have read should help wheel spin and traction.

......I ordered a fly wheel weight too which from what I have read should help wheel spin and traction.

Try turning your PV counter clockwise 1/2 turn.  This will improve your bottom end torque, delay the hit and make the bike more tractable (at the expense of high rpm performance).   I typically adjust my PV based on the conditions (winter vs. summer).   wet and snotty vs. dry and tractable.

• Like 1

Try turning your PV counter clockwise 1/2 turn.  This will improve your bottom end torque, delay the hit and make the bike more tractable (at the expense of high rpm performance).   I typically adjust my PV based on the conditions (winter vs. summer).   wet and snotty vs. dry and tractable.

okay sweet I been wanting to mess with the pv setting some so I will take your advice next time I get to ride it as we have 8 inches of snow here right now.

On a 2 stroke you need to use the brakes more. And in some situations you need to give it throttle a bit earlier.. And you may not feel that the front wheel is as plantet as a 4 stroke

• Like 1

What difference would there be going from a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke? can you just jump on and ride or is it harder than that. I know that its not going to be the same i just want to know how different it will be. Is there anything that i should know before trying to ride a 2 stroke or is it pretty straight forward. I just don't want to make a fool of my self trying to ride one for the first time.

Thanks

I can relate to your anxiety.  I bought a 2 stroke in December and haven't been able to try it out.  Race season starts in May and we have a lot of snow to melt before then. 

No napping whilst riding the two stroke. More shifting (at least on my 200), ride up a gear, no engine breaking. More work, more fun. The transition doesn't take long, but be prepared to work a little harder at first. It's worth it if you want to amp up the fun factor and loose a little weight underneath you. Funny thing is, you will feel less tired at the end of the day one you get used to it.

• Like 1

Proper clutch use really helps maximize 2T power. Hop on Youtube for some 2T videos and notice how the really good riders seem to keep the engine at nearly the same pitch most of the time. I ride both 2T and 4T and mostly utilize this "feeding the power" technique exiting corners. It helps the bike hook up just the way I like and really improves exit speed. I always have my finger over the clutch lever for instinctive use. By the way, I get great clutch life. Try rolling along the dirt slowly in second gear and just wicking the throttle wide open a few times to feel the acceleration. Then do the same while feeding the clutch out similar to a rolling race start. With some practice, you should feel much smoother/harder acceleration. On technical sections, feeding your power correcly with your clutch can really reduce 2T jumpiness and provide great/smooth power control. It's a really fun way to ride.

• Like 2

You'll have a hard time sitting down on the 2-stroke because your balls will go three sizes. ;)

Engine braking will be the biggest difference - as in, you will have none.

• Like 1

All I can say is that I've never had the opportunity to swap bikes with a friend or relative who rides 2 stroke because nobody wants to perch themselves upon my 250x. I will say that it will be a cold day in Hades before my cousin comes off his KDX for anything with 2 wheels.

With 2T's,as you go down in the cc's the harder they are to ride :goofy: .

A 300 2T Isn't that much of a stretch from a 4T :devil: .

When I ride the cr250 (2 stroke) vs my rmz450(4 stroke) I notice I use the clutch a lot more on the cr250 .+1000 on the lack of engine braking . I also rear steer more on the cr250 . best way I ride the 2 stroke  is to get myself in the powerband and try to stay there . bike is more manageable for me that way  .

both 2 and 4 stroke bikes are hella fun to ride and my ability is about the same for both .

But I favor my RMZ450 more .

Edited by xx-rmz450-xx

I can relate to your anxiety.  I bought a 2 stroke in December and haven't been able to try it out.  Race season starts in May and we have a lot of snow to melt before then. 

I rode mine new 2 stroke at an indoor track this week.   It wasn't much different.  I probably took the corners faster with the 2 stroke.  Now I'm curious to try it in the woods.

I rode 4 strokes all my life and just got a new 2014 Husky TE 250 this weekend and I raced it. It does handle differently from 4 strokes but I do like it. The front wheel does feel less planted at times but I like the way it steers with the rear. I have to say the fun factor of a 2 stroke is quite nice. I am just struggling a bit with the wheelies compared to my 450 MX bike.