Sign in to follow this  

86 case rot

so the water pump area is of coarse just rotted out like it is proud of it!

i am thinking of just cnc milling up a whole new piece for this. i would just saw off the front of the cover and fixture the new machined piece to a crank case half and weld the new to the old.

the red area would be all new

any other way to repair the total devastaion of this?

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

Edited by turbothis

All the old CR's have this problem, I was lucky that the 87 cr 125 cover was also the same up until 2003 and I just swaped them out.

a complete cover would be costly.

i can do the front portion on a 10$ chuck of aluminum.

therre is no source for new covers is there? just whats already out there.

You can use a water pump cover from a 1989 CR250 to replace the 1986 water pump cover. Honda does not have many more in stock, so I suggest you order one soon.

Don't forget to clean the radiators, they are plugged with magnesium.

my buddy is a tig whiz.

can the 2 be welded together?

magesium is extremely hard to weld and is easily comustible. Id say there is no chance of welding the two. Once magnesium ignites you cant put it out.

If you could cnc some side cases for the mid 80's CR's, they'd sell like crazy. The guys with the 84's are completely screwed, and have been for years.

• Like 1

If you could cnc some side cases for the mid 80's CR's, they'd sell like crazy. The guys with the 84's are completely screwed, and have been for years.

theres a guy on a vintage bike page on facebook that is reproducing high end metal and platic parts. He was looking for input on parts people would be interested in. I can find out contact info if anyones intetested.

There is a guy from NZ reproducing them right now.

i know my buddy can weld mag. i will look into this some.

the water port cover is in great shape, maybe it was swapped out at some point.

Edited by turbothis

i know my buddy can weld mag. i will look into this some.

the water port cover is in great shape, maybe it was swapped out at some point.

The water pump area has the most passsges, the rest of the cover would be a lot easier to reproduce

If you can make the front portion, I would just make the whole thing. That would look trick. I would think casting one would be easier, but a complete cnc cover would be trick

I still have a new 89 and a slightly used (just for break in) 86 cover. May pick up another 89 while there still available.

Edited by HappyG

There is a guy from NZ reproducing them right now.

Jeez. Where was he 3 years ago when I had my 84 CR250R. I sold it because I got tired of looking for a decent side cover.

• Like 1

absolutely get that one, the real 86 side cover is one piece, which means a clutch job is a real pain,  2 piece set is the only way to go, I just wish I had see this before I restored my 86...ran it this weekend, forgot how much fun the old 2 smokers are...