KDX200

Hey TT,

Heres a link to a bike that my buddy is thinking about buying: http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/4292550382.html

Do you guys think this looks like a good bike? Im just wondering because it is only $700. Ive seen these bikes go for upwards of $1500. And do you think its worth driving 130 miles to go check out? Thanks in advance.

Old air cooled, power valved KDX, somewhere around 86-88. Looks in good shape in the picture, but you never know until you see it in person. Good luck finding parts for it though.

This is what I was thinking when I seen it too. But if it runs OK and you get a year or two out of it for the price I'd say its OK.

Ya theres nothing really wrong with the air cooled ones besides a different look and they just run a little hotter. No biggy. Personally i think thats an 87 but maybe an 88 because of the disk brakes. Im not even sure if they had disk brakes until 89 when they switched to liquid cooled and different bodies. $700s really all the money on it but if it runs fine its still well worth it. Great bikes and theyre fast, reliable, cheap to fix, and monsters in the woods. From pennsylvania to there is a bit of a stretch. Id meet halfway and pay 600 or go to him and pay 500. Good luck

• Like 1

It can't be any newer than an '88 as they went to water cooled in '89. 1986-'88 were the only 3 years they made an air cooled 200, so it's one of those years.

83 was the 1st year for the air cooled 200. 83-85 would be the 1st generation, 86-88 was air cooled with power valves. 89-94 1st gen water cooled. 95-06 2nd gen water cooled. The one in the add looks like a 86 if you were to go by the seat graphics. 88 engine was natural or aluminum in color. Id like to add a powervalved 86-88 200 as a stablemate to my 84 200!

Edited by zz3gmc

83 was the 1st year for the air cooled 200. 83-85 would be the 1st generation, 86-88 was air cooled with power valves. 89-94 1st gen water cooled. 95-06 2nd gen water cooled. The one in the add looks like a 86 if you were to go by the seat graphics. 88 engine was natural or aluminum in color. Id like to add a powervalved 86-88 200 as a stablemate to my 84 200!

Actually '84 was the first year for the 200, the '84-'85 C models, didn't notice them on the list until you mentioned it. I wonder what one of those KDX 450s they made in '82 would be like. A 450 2 stroke with no powervalve was probably a beast.

It's a 1986 model, if you go by the seat graphic.  Also, it has the black engine (the non-spray painted portions) and Mikuni carb.  Unique to the 1986 was a steel braided brake hose.

I see a "too tight" chain, missing chain guide in front of rear sprocket, spray painted pipe and engine parts, bent kickstand, etc.

If you are just looking for a dirt bike, go for a liquid-cooled KDX.  Parts are hard to find on air-cooled KDX's, plus some are expensive.

EDIT:  The first KDX200 was 1983.  From my website:

http://www.kdxgarage.com/kdxmodellist.html

Edited by KDXGarage

PASS ON ANY BIKE THE SELLER DOESNT OFFER UP THE CORRECT YEAR. Its a great opening question to determine who you are dealing with. Either hes done zero maintanaince or is a scammer. I recall guys searching for months for suspension/powervalve parts for these bikes.

Edited by ickfinger

83s had a smaller tank, green "200" on the seat and a thinner longer silencer ( similar to what was on the 82 175). I bought a 84 brand new in june of 84. I raced enduros on it until I bought a new 86 KX250. Powervalve parts have been discontinued for sometime for the 86-88 and now the 89-94. Kinda sucks since there seems to be tons of them left.