Sign in to follow this  

Should I get an Xr400

I'm 14 about 5,10 and 150 pounds and I have been riding for about 3 years. I just recently sold my crf150f and it was just too small, I'm looking for a much bigger bike. My dad has been riding all his life and he thinks that an Xr400 is going to be too heavy for me in the woods. I've wrestled and I weight lift everyday so I'm pretty strong and I think I can handle the weight of this bike what do you all thing? Should I get one or not? Also, I would like to know what other great woods bikes there are just so I can look at my other choices?

I would say the lightest options are,

There's the KTM 150 & 200

There's the kdx200 & 220

_-----------------------

Then I say wr250r

Crf 230-250l

Xr250

Drz250

As far as being too heavy for the woods???

They are heavy bikes.

Edited by ridngslikecrack

The XR400 would be heavy when it came time to pick it up after falling downhill, or recovering it after you've gotten it stuck in the mud.  Aside from that, I doubt you would mind the weight much.  Are you looking to stay with 4-strokes or are you open to 2-strokes?

I see you're in KY. If you are riding in the rocky woods of KY, you'll have more fun on a lighter, easier to handle bike. Just about any modern 2 stroke, or a 250 4 stroke would be better in my opinion. We do a lot of riding in KY, and that has been my experience.

The XR400 would be heavy when it came time to pick it up after falling downhill, or recovering it after you've gotten it stuck in the mud. Aside from that, I doubt you would mind the weight much. Are you looking to stay with 4-strokes or are you open to 2-strokes?

I am looking toward both a 4 and a 2 stroke. I also want to start hare scrambles do you know of any bikes that would be best for that? My dad said he wants me to go look at a kdx200,kx or a yz 125 and a ttr or a crf230 and an xr250 what out of those bikes are the best for the woods Edited by Hartlage1

The xr's are pretty reliable if you have the cash to take care of 4strokes.. another thing is since its a 4t its going to be heavy (well at least for me). If its in good conditition and you like how it rides then go for it. I stick to the 2t's because im a small guy and i dont have as much money to take care of a 4t (only 15).. but its all preference i think. Good luck with your bike!

• Like 1

I had an '03 XR400, and from experience, they are heavy bikes. I'm 6'2", 200lbs, and in decent shape, and would find myself grunting and cussing picking the thing up from a second or third fall over. Full tank of gas, it's a good 260lbs and top heavy. Great old bikes, but a chore to deal with in gnarl and tight woods.

• Like 1

There is no "best" bike.  Just pick a mainstream bike that has a following in your area. They are all very similar and have their own little quirks. Go to an event and look around, you will quickly see what are the popular choices. There are very good reasons why some are more popular than others. Any solid well cared for bike that is easy to work on is a good choice. Most pick 2 strokes for the simple, cheap maintenance aspect.  Starting out it really doesn't matter much, as you develop you will learn things that lead you in a certain direction when you choose your next bike. Just  get some good advice from local riders, choose something you can truly afford and will be easy to re-sell later. Join a club, the friends you meet will be very helpful. Good luck.

• Like 2

I am looking toward both a 4 and a 2 stroke. I also want to start hare scrambles do you know of any bikes that would be best for that? My dad said he wants me to go look at a kdx200,kx or a yz 125 and a ttr or a crf230 and an xr250 what out of those bikes are the best for the woods

KDX or TTR230. YZ and KX 125s are great bikes, but they're 125s, you have to keep their neck wrung all the time to get much out of them. If you were wanting to get into motocross I'd be saying YZ, but for a real woods/race bike, no. XR250 has the same problem as the 400, it's top heavy and just plain heavy in general. That leaves the KDX 200/220 and the e-start TTR230. KDX is a wonderful, not all that heavy (compared to an XR), easy to deal with woods bike, that also makes an excellent C class HS bike. TTR 230 is about the same weight (230-240lbs), with a bit mellower air cooled 4 stroke power delivery, and I've seen people race them with good results. CRF230 is in the same class as the TTR if you like red bikes.

kdx200 or 220 make EXCELLENT hare scrambles bike.  I agree, much lighter than the XR400 and maintenance is much cheaper.  XR's were always solid as a rock, so maintenance is not as intensive as the modern 4t's.  A 125 MX'r is wicked light and a lot of fun.  It will definitely teach you how to use a clutch better, despite previous experience level.  Maintenance is also cheap as well and a flywheel weight will help in the woods quite a bit as well.  And there's always a 144cc big bore kit if you get to wanting more power.  The kits have been around for a while so they should be pretty well proven.

I think I can handle the weight of this bike what do you all thing? 

You are a strong athletic kid, so I'm sure you can handle it. That doesn't mean its the best tool for the job though. I think you will be faster and have more fun on a KDX 200/220 or on a KTM 150/200. 

And there's always a 144cc big bore kit if you get to wanting more power.  The kits have been around for a while so they should be pretty well proven.

I ran into a guy on a YZ 144 ou in the desert a couple of weeks ago. Rode with him for a while. Man was he fast on that thing. I was on my RM 250 and just could not keep him in my sights. He had it all set up for cross country / desert and he could really ride. 

Edited by Kenpo1

a kdx200/220 is likely to be faster in the woods and easier to pick up. E.g. I would rather pick up a kdx than a xr4.

I race a xr350r with xr400r forks in enduro/HS C level. it's like a xr400r. I can be wicked fast on it in the woods, but it wears me out and it is a chore to pick up, especially 2 hours into a enduro. this season I'm riding a rmx250, which is like a kdx200 on 'roids, its powerband is more like that of a 4 stroke, but much lighter and easier/cheaper to maintain/fix. a yz/rm125 2 stroke is a nice bike and some ride it in enduros, however, you're always wound out on it trying to keep up with the beefier bikes, especially uphill. about the only thing a xr400r would have on the 200-250 enduro 2 strokes, is fuel economy. a kdx200/220/rmx250/wr250z can get 50+ miles on a tank, a yz/rm125 much less with a stock tank, and a xr400/350r over 70miles. the kdx200 was made for a long time (up to 2007, I think), so it's easy to find a bike with low hours and has a lot of aftermarket parts available for it, when you get bored with it. I only mention the rmx250 to make a point, it's not a common bike, same as the wr250z. for your level a newer kdx200/220 is a good choice/compromise. if you have the $$$ then a ktm200/250 enduro 2 stroke is awesome too. a yz250 stroke or yz450f, crf450r bikes are very fast bikes and probably too much bike for trail/enduro/hs, unless you're really good/experienced.

I raced an XR400 until 2005 never missed it except in super knarly rock piles. where the tractor like motor and soft squishy suspension were nice. Look at a KTM 200-250-300

• Like 1

I am looking toward both a 4 and a 2 stroke. I also want to start hare scrambles do you know of any bikes that would be best for that? My dad said he wants me to go look at a kdx200,kx or a yz 125 and a ttr or a crf230 and an xr250 what out of those bikes are the best for the woods

Out of the bikes you've listed, I'd lean towards the KDX, either a 200 or a 220. Both great do-it-all machines.

• Like 1

kdx200 or 220 make EXCELLENT hare scrambles bike. I agree, much lighter than the XR400 and maintenance is much cheaper. XR's were always solid as a rock, so maintenance is not as intensive as the modern 4t's. A 125 MX'r is wicked light and a lot of fun. It will definitely teach you how to use a clutch better, despite previous experience level. Maintenance is also cheap as well and a flywheel weight will help in the woods quite a bit as well. And there's always a 144cc big bore kit if you get to wanting more power. The kits have been around for a while so they should be pretty well proven.[/quote

Thanks I just got a kdx and it's flipping amazing I love it

• Like 1

kdx200 or 220 make EXCELLENT hare scrambles bike. I agree, much lighter than the XR400 and maintenance is much cheaper. XR's were always solid as a rock, so maintenance is not as intensive as the modern 4t's. A 125 MX'r is wicked light and a lot of fun. It will definitely teach you how to use a clutch better, despite previous experience level. Maintenance is also cheap as well and a flywheel weight will help in the woods quite a bit as well. And there's always a 144cc big bore kit if you get to wanting more power. The kits have been around for a while so they should be pretty well proven.

Thanks I just got a kdx and it's FLIPPING AWSOME. I LOVE THE THING

• Like 1

That is good to hear! You made the right choice....and this is coming from an XR owner!!!