Sign in to follow this  

Fix up bike

Hi! I am looking at a rolling chassis of a 83, cr250 but the guy has all the parts. I want to fix it then either keep it for a while then sell it. I would be buying it for 150 so do you think that is a fair price. The guy selling it says he has all the parts and everything but i would need new gaskets and brake/clutch levers. Also i was wondering if the piston and cylinder would still be good?

It's a fair price but it doesn't really make sense to fix it up unless you want to race in the vintage classes. It's going to be hard to find parts for and once you get it into a safe, reliable running condition you'll have probably spent $1500+ to get it there and when you go to sell it you'll have a hard time getting half of that back. Buy something newer, fixer uppers unless you have the skills to do it yourself are a waste of money and you won't get back close to what you put in. Sounds like you're in over your head already, save your money and buy something better. There's so many little things to go wrong in a bike, it's not all clutch levers and gaskets. You have to consider everything from sprockets, wheels, tires to less noticeable things like fork seals, wheel bearings, breaks and the condition of transmission parts to start. You could be in a lot of money and honestly, I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. If you pay $150 for a dirtbike, you have a $150 dirtbike and it's going to take a hell of a lot of time, work and money to make something out of it and in the end, you still have a 30 year old dirtbike when you could have bought something far more modern that you could actually get parts for and have a much easier time selling it when you're done with it. 

There's no way of telling if the piston and cylinder are good unless you go take it apart and look. They could be, they could not. I think that would be the least of my worries with something so old. I can't see there being much life in it, 30 years is a long time and there's a ton of overlooked parts in a dirtbike that need to be in good working order just for it to be safe to take out on the trails. I'd stay away, save my money and buy something newer and better.