Wrenching Injuries

Alright, I know I can't be the only one that hurts themselves when wrenching on bikes. I've had my share of black eyes from tire irons, busted knuckles, etc. 

What've you guys injured while wrenching on your bikes? (pictures welcome) My most recent one was when I pulled the seat off of my CB. The rear plastic over the tail light ripped the skin between my nail and knuckle on my middle finger right off. It bled for a solid day afterwards.

IMAG0199_zpsfe29c910.jpg

Ouch.

I was removing rust from the rim of a bike trailer i was building using a grinder with wire brush attachment...

slipped and took off a fair bit of skin from my left hand.

another time i was using the pillar drill and ended up belting my hand with the hunk of metal i was attempting to put holes in.

Between my work, carpentry, and working on my bikes, my hands always look like a war zone. Much of the time I don't notice the injury 'till I see blood dripping on a camshaft or a fine piece of sapele.

Mike

Plenty of smashed, gouged fingers, torn nails, some lumps on my head from hitting an axle or hitch....glad I quit doing it for a living few years ago after well over 30 years.

Oh, and the burns were the best. lol

Edited by OldMechanik

I was wearing sandals and needed to get in the bottom drawer on my bench and the drawer edge caught my right big toenail as I opened the drawer and ripped off the entire toenail. I thought I would never have a toenail there again but it has completely grown back after one year. Painful, yes but I have had much worse pain than that.

I was being an idiot and pushing the edge of a lock washer against the nut with a screwdriver, the screwdriver came off and hit me directly between the eyes. It hurt, but the real deal about it was that I would have lost an eye if it hit me there. I got lucky that night.

I'm not sure how it happened, but one time I was helping a friend remove his rear wheel from a TTR90. It ws beat t hell and rusted together, BAD! I was trying to get it when he told me it was cross threaded. So I started pulling on the wrench and his old cheapo ratchet snaps and hits me right in the neck. That night I woke up with a wierd feeling on my neck, and ended up spending like 4 days in the hospital with a swollen red colored neck. They told me there was a chance it could get into my esophagus and basically drown me with my blood. Somehow when the wrench hit it hit hard enough to put a small puncture into a blood vessel in my neck. They only kept me cause it was a long slow drizzle of blood apperantly. They said if it woulda been any harder I probably would of ripped tight threw the blood vessel and died within minutes.

I'm not sure how it happened, but one time I was helping a friend remove his rear wheel from a TTR90. It ws beat t hell and rusted together, BAD! I was trying to get it when he told me it was cross threaded. So I started pulling on the wrench and his old cheapo ratchet snaps and hits me right in the neck. That night I woke up with a wierd feeling on my neck, and ended up spending like 4 days in the hospital with a swollen red colored neck. They told me there was a chance it could get into my esophagus and basically drown me with my blood. Somehow when the wrench hit it hit hard enough to put a small puncture into a blood vessel in my neck. They only kept me cause it was a long slow drizzle of blood apperantly. They said if it woulda been any harder I probably would of ripped tight threw the blood vessel and died within minutes.

Crap man bet your cautious now

I found out the hard way not to use my leg as a base on which to drill a hole into something,it actually hurts when a 1/8 drill bit drills into you and worse than that was a workmate decided he would use a drill with a 1/8 bit again and drill into my shirt,instead he buried the entire length of the drill bit into my stomach.I used to think I could handle pain until that happened.

Dad was workin on the corvette one night and was pouring paint stripper a drop splashed and he got it in his eye, never seen someone in so much pain before for a whole week. It was disgusting from how it looked

Yep, cheap ratchets are a pain in the neck!

Its not M/C related, but I was repairing a center support on a hay wagon and had to break a 5/8" bolt off to release the part. I pulled so hard on a ratchet, I broke three of my ribs!

Lmao it hurt like hell!

Edited by ridngslikecrack

I found out the hard way not to use my leg as a base on which to drill a hole into something,it actually hurts when a 1/8 drill bit drills into you and worse than that was a workmate decided he would use a drill with a 1/8 bit again and drill into my shirt,instead he buried the entire length of the drill bit into my stomach.I used to think I could handle pain until that happened.

ROFL!!

You got drilled by a coworker.

I apologize, I could not resist!

Edited by ridngslikecrack

Cut the bejezus out of my thumb while using a dull razor blade to cut the end out of a grip one time. Bout it though. I've worked on cars and trucks my whole life, so got the knuckle busting and wrench slipping stuff done many years ago.

I got a finger snagged between the chain and sprocket when spinning the wheel and cleaning the chain.  Greasy tooth went into a joint.  

I got a finger snagged between the chain and sprocket when spinning the wheel and cleaning the chain.  Greasy tooth went into a joint.  

The stories always go around the sport bike forums about people who get the idea to put their bike on the track stand then let it idle in gear while they hold the cleaning rag around the chain. It's amazing how much damage that a half round tour of a 530 chain and sprocket can do to a thumb. :doh:

My worst one was a rear sprocket as well. Trying to loosen the bolts to replace it and the wrench slipped off. I ran my forearm across the sharpened teeth with some force and sliced my arm open from my wrist to half way down my arm. Luckily I missed the main artery! I've also gotten a finger into a table saw. Not fun. 

This wasn't me but it was pretty bad,

When I was younger my dad built a go cart for my brother and I and was drilling a 1/4 inch hole. Anyways he was drilling towards him on the tube frame.... you can see where it's going. The drill slide off and my dad drilled about 3/4 of an inch into his biceps, the worse part is it was stuck in there and he had to put the drill in reverse to pull it out :wacko:

It was pretty nasty the drill had some meat on it. But my dad hates hospital lines so he toughed it out and didn't go.

Rookies.

Try wrenching for a living. Then complain about injuries... :lol:

other than some bloody fingers nothing too serious.  but i do remember that once in school i was in a car on a lift and i decided to get out.  i was walking on the arm and my foot slipped.  i missed smashing my nuts by a quarter inch  had the lift had been any higher i would have been in a lot of pain

The stories always go around the sport bike forums about people who get the idea to put their bike on the track stand then let it idle in gear while they hold the cleaning rag around the chain. It's amazing how much damage that a half round tour of a 530 chain and sprocket can do to a thumb. :doh:

I was turning mine by hand.