Pilot air screw?

Bike is running, but it dies the minute you take it off choke. It doesn't go into the high idle when it gets warm either. My buddy and I think it's the pilot air screw being to rich.. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Pilot jet is clogged... I'll bet money on it.

+1 for the clogged pilot jet.

Take the carb apart and thoroughly clean all the jets and passages paying special attention to your pilot jet/circuit.

What they said..^^^^^^^^^^^^

It just came from the shop where they did a "carb job"... At least that's what was on the bill.. Also, when I was having trouble with it running, we scoured the carb, inside and out. I'm not saying you're wrong, but is that still what y'all think?

Choke richens the mix. Assuming you are keeping the choke on long enough, if it dies when you come off of it, you are too lean. Hence, a possibly clogged PJ, too small PJ, fuel mixture screw nearly closed, or other fuel delivery issue.

It just came from the shop where they did a "carb job"... At least that's what was on the bill.. Also, when I was having trouble with it running, we scoured the carb, inside and out. I'm not saying you're wrong, but is that still what y'all think?

check your vacuum line, from petcock to carb

Sounds good.. I'll keep ya updated! Thanks yet again

The pilot jet was replaced ?...the pilot circuit has passageways that also are subject to blockage....

In the future ,if possible, use non corn juice fuels (non ethanol) ...that stuff is notorious clogging up jets in carbs.. 

The pilot jet was replaced ?...the pilot circuit has passageways that also are subject to blockage....

In the future ,if possible, use non corn juice fuels (non ethanol) ...that stuff is notorious clogging up jets in carbs..

If non ethanol fuels are unavailable, would you suggest a fuel stabilizer like sea foam or sta-bil?

If non ethanol fuels are unavailable, would you suggest a fuel stabilizer like sea foam or sta-bil?

I have seen what ethanol fuels do to carbs, but I am not the person to answer this as I personally don't use or recommend  E10 . :aussy:

Check manufacturers recommendations, but I thought fuel stabilizer was more related to storage

+1 on checking the petcock vacuum line(if it is an S or SM).

I ran across that exact scenario when changing jets for altitude one time.

Also, I run every kind of cheap crap gasoline I can get my hands on.

2000 S model with 25000 miles and no problems... as long as I remember to hook everything back up.

Edited by Filipe

It's an 03 400E.. Shoulda put that info in there as well

Spray some wd40 around the carb boots if rpm increases there`s air being sucked in.

Make sure the pilot screw is not all the way in. It should be around 2 turns out from lightly bottomed.

Make sure the pilot screw is not all the way in. It should be around 2 turns out from lightly bottomed.

Set your fuel screw via this procedure..http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

recommended settings will be close,  fine tuning may be required for variables such as climate , altitude , other carb settings and engine mods...

Is it possible to adjust the pilot screw with the DRZ running? The screw is on the bottom of the carb, correct?

It's possible but not real easy. I used a flat blade screwdriver bit in a 1/4 inch socket. Wrap a little black tape around the socket and you can handle it with Mechanix gloves on.

It gets kind of hot down there with bare hands since you are adjusting the screw at operating temperature.

Is it possible to adjust the pilot screw with the DRZ running? The screw is on the bottom of the carb, correct?

It can be done, but IMO it's a "Rat's Arse" trying to do it without a R & D Racing Products Flex-Jet Remote Fuel Screw

Even a fresh carb job can still have a spec of debris to block the pilot hole - its small as antballs - pull the carb and clean the pilot - easy - done...

OR give the POS back to the POS Mechanic to do it again since you paid good money for it to be correct before you picked it up - I'm just saying... choose your poison -

now go ride