Sign in to follow this  

'01 DRZ-400E intermittent cutting out under load

Hi all,

I wonder if any of you can help me figure out an aggravating problem I have with my DRZ.

I have owned it since new and never had a problem. During a 150 mile ride (SheetIron300) the last 20 miles it started cutting out under mid RPM levels under load and got worse and worse until I had to rev it out completely to get it to go anywhere.

I tried the plug, checked wiring for loose wires, cleaned the main jet, checked the float level, put new gas in it, cleaned the filter and removed the carb and replaced it to no avail.

I took it to a Suzuki shop and they checked the compression,  took the carb apart and cleaned it, checked the valve clearance, checked the coils with a tester and changed the plug and it worked. They were not sure what solved the problem.

I ran it up and down the street and parked it. I took a buddy to ride and after an hour of riding the problem came back. We let the bike sit for 1/2 hour and it still came back intermittently finally occurring about 80% of the time. It immediately cuts out enough to reduce power a lot but enough to ride the bike on a trail at medium speed but it sounds terrible.

I put 1.5 G of fresh gas in it. The rest of the gas was a few months old but in the past situations is was all fresh gas.

Have any of you heard of this type of problem?

Any ideas?

I'm thinking it could be the coil even though the shop tested it. Perhaps it;s getting hot and shorting internally?

I've never replaced the stator or and electronics.

I had a very similar problem with a different bike. It ended up being the CDI ignition, basically the computer. I replaced it and all was good. I am not sure if this is an issue with the DRZ or not.

I had a very similar problem with a different bike. It ended up being the CDI ignition, basically the computer. I replaced it and all was good. I am not sure if this is an issue with the DRZ or not.

i was thinking that as well - Thanks

Once you rule out fuel flow, look at the electrics,.....swapping out the cdi from a loan bike, stator testing,wiring etc...

Yes make sure you rule out all the little stuff that doesn't cost you anything. It sucks to just throw expensive parts at a problem and not fix it only to find it was a small no cost thing that was wrong.

Thanks! I don;t want to go riding too many times to figure out the problem is still there so I ordered a coil $10 and will get a used CDI $50 next. I was wondering if the stator could cause the problem. How could it? The battery charges and I have a Baja street light kit  lights that I generally keep on the small bulb Vs the main light so as not to put too much load on the electrical systems.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies but the problem is still there after trying a new coil and ecu. It starts fine and idles and revs without load fine. Under load when warm or sometimes after running 15 minutes or longer, with throttle >1/3 it cuts out and then goes in 1 second intervals. If I stop it and rev it with no load it is fine.

I don't see how it can be the carb as it runs great for a variable amount of time.

The tank vent is fine. I tried both res and on petcock settings and pored gas from the tank and it flows great. I looked in the tank and there is no junk and the filter screen is clean.

I checked the wiring by wiggling them  while running with the tank off and looking for worn wires but saw nothing.

Someone suggested getting a new stator but is this a failure mode for a stator? And how do you check a stator? The light is bright and the battery never has an issue with charging.

I already brought it to a shop and they checked and cleaned the carb, compression, valves replaced the plug  and it seemed to work when they released it to me. When they got it we could duplicate the problem without load standing there in neutral. After they checked everything it seemed like it worked until we took it out for a multi hour ride and after an hour it started back.

Any other ideas?

How do you check the stator?

There is a condition with the stator where it will run fine when cool, but once warmed up it starts to cut out. I'm not sure if this particuliar condition can be tested for?