Lets bash helmets

Shopping for a new helmet since my Shoei is 6 years old & I figure the foam has got be deteriorating by now, plus I like shiny new shit.  I have a nice Troylee helmet but I have no faith in it, so light, I fell in corner once & hardly bumped my head & still felt like I rung my bell, but I digress.

What got me thinking is Dirt Rider did a test a few years back & said the cheap helmets all out performed the more expensive helmets, however they wouldn't name names.  Chickenshit if you ask me.

They all have to pass DOT or SNELL testing & with the Leatt thread in full swing I thought lets fight about helmets.  I was gonna buy a 6d but $700, not sure if the theory is solid on the design, but seems to make sense to me.  Bell Moto 9 is a great helmet, Shoei of course, Arai, but my mind always goes back to that Dirt Rider article, what if those damn HJC are superior & we just shelled out several hundo more than needed?  I can afford whatever I want, but I like to save money too.  But for the guy that can't has to settle, he could maybe very well buying the better helmet only cause that is what he can afford while suckers like me will shell out five bills for what may be not so great?  Damn Dirt Rider!

There there is also the little known fact that HJC & KBC make all the other helmets, except Shoei, Arai, 6d, & I am sure I am missing one or two?  But all the fox, fly, possibly Bell are all made by one of those two so you are just paying for branding.  Thoughts?

Edited by Sabeen

I've had several HJC helmets throughout the years and they always worked good when I crashed, I never thought they were the most comfortable though, I was happy with my M2R helmet when I was on rider support with them, but I'm very pleased with my Arai I wear now. It's comfortable, light weight, and stylish. If I was to buy a new helmet I would go with Arai again. That's my opinion on the matter

I have a kbc vr2 stealth.....it has saved me a handful of times. Paid 250.00 for it 4 years ago. I am also in the market to buy a new helmet as my last crash left the right side of the jaw piece cracked. Was looking for the same helmet but can only find kbc street bike helmets. Which leaves me confused. Hopeful I can get some good advice from this thread

I've had several HJC helmets throughout the years and they always worked good when I crashed, I never thought they were the most comfortable though, I was happy with my M2R helmet when I was on rider support with them, but I'm very pleased with my Arai I wear now. It's comfortable, light weight, and stylish. If I was to buy a new helmet I would go with Arai again. That's my opinion on the matter

That's interesting. I had an M2R and it was the most uncomfortable helmet I have ever owned. I think I rode for 10 laps and never put it on again. I love my Bell and especially my Scott helmets. O'neal fit me well also. I guess I have been very fortunate to have never hit hard enough to find the limits of my helmets, though I have bounced a fair number over the years.

There there is also the little known fact that HJC & KBC make all the other helmets, except Shoei, Arai, 6d, & I am sure I am missing one or two? 

Pretty well known fact.   You are missing the European brands, like Shark.   And others from Europe.

How I shop for a helmet.

Shell

Look for certified helmet  Snell   (There are higher standards in Europe... or so I have read)

If it is DOT approved, it's good enough for the bone head chopper rider.   DOT doesn't mean squat.

Fit

Find a helmet that fits well.   I watch some pro SX riders with their helmets rattling on their head and wonder if they don't get concussions from crashing with loose fitting helmets.

Aria and HJC  seem to fit my head well.

Cost.  

I'm cheap.   I'm not doing big doubles or triples, so I don't hit the ground going 50 mph.   I generally buy HJC for the dirt.   The lower end HJC helmets are plastic, but since I will hit dirt or rocks, it seems OK for me.  And it passes the Snell tests.   For street, I have a nice Arai.   It is a fiberglass helmet that will crush on impact.   Since the odds are I will hit flat pavement, I want impact absorption.

Edited by Kev_XR

UFO warrior h1, I've worn many helmets airoh,arai,shark,bell etc. an this UFO I the best. Te ventilation is unreal how good it is. Also, if you have a big wreck, there 2 pull-ups that pull te cheek pads out so it doesn't affect your head when taking the helmet off.

• Like 1

I have a kbc vr2 stealth.....it has saved me a handful of times. Paid 250.00 for it 4 years ago. I am also in the market to buy a new helmet as my last crash left the right side of the jaw piece cracked. Was looking for the same helmet but can only find kbc street bike helmets. Which leaves me confused. Hopeful I can get some good advice from this thread

You're looking for good advice from us? Beaaaahaaahaaa! Have you not seen the Dungey intro music thread?

Edited by wes513v
  • Like 3