New here and need advice

Bought a 2003 YZ450f a year ago and love it in the trails. Then bought a DOT street legal light kit with a new stator, key kit, all signals, horn and turn indicator switch and back up battery, in hopes to make it street legal and plate it.  Then found out that I won't be able to plate it in Florida.

Want to be able to dual sport since I don't go trail riding often enough, and strictly MX is not my thing.

Should I sell my bike and get another bike or is there hope with mine?  Maybe try to trade for an older WR?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

1-2-14 all pictures 144.JPG

1-2-14 all pictures 145.JPG

Bought a 2003 YZ450f a year ago and love it in the trails. Then bought a DOT street legal light kit with a new stator, key kit, all signals, horn and turn indicator switch and back up battery, in hopes to make it street legal and plate it.  Then found out that I won't be able to plate it in Florida.

Want to be able to dual sport since I don't go trail riding often enough, and strictly MX is not my thing.

Should I sell my bike and get another bike or is there hope with mine?  Maybe try to trade for an older WR?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

attachicon.gif1-2-14 all pictures 144.JPG

attachicon.gif1-2-14 all pictures 145.JPG

If you're doing close to 50-50 dirt-street, I'd recommend a DS street legal from the factory, like a DRZ. In my opinion you need 75%+ dirt to justify making a dirt bike street legal. If you have the $, KTM offers street legal dirt bikes that perform well, and even better with a few mods. This coming from Arizona, where you can make about anything street legal for $100.

Mike

I ride with a guy who bought a DRZ 400E and is in the process of making it street legal. He has bought the kit and installed it, but, 6 months later still hasn't gotten around to getting it plated. Also, there are many other 'issues' he is having to consider, like no cooling fan on the radiator, no subframe under the tail end, non dot tires etc, etc. Meanwhile, I'm racking up the miles on my DRZ 400S every day commuting to work and hitting the trails on the weekends. Often times I ride over to the trails and meet him in his pick-up and wait for him to unload his bike. 

So in short, I would opt for the true DUAL SPORT.

Thanks for the replies. But used dual sports seem to be far and few in between.  Any suggestions on where to look besides Craigslist and Ebay? Do members on this board sometimes want to trade their Dual Sport bikes for a bike like mine?  Thanks.

Hadn't thought about it 'till you posted, but there aren't many for sale around here either. Maybe expend your search distance wise? For example, not much of a selection in Flagstaff, but if I search C/L in Phoenix, things open up quite a bit.

Mike

Might be the time of year too. Seems as though there are a ton during warmer months. I certainly wouldn't be selling in the winter. Wait long enough and you'll find the perfect unit.  Remember, 'Good Luck is where preparedness meets opportunity'.