2009 Rmz-250 or 2006 Yz250f

Looking at getting a new bike, a little back ground. 5'8 140 pounds without gear. Been riding since I was 10 but stopped around 16 years old and only rode off and on the last two years. Mainly ride mx and am still a beginner/novice rider. Have had many two strokes( 80s and 125s) in the past and one 2007 kx250f. I bought a 03 yz125 to get back into riding and recently sold it to get another 250f.

Two potential bikes at the moment

2009 Rmz-250 $2,000

-One owner

- Supposively has had motor work such as high compression piston, shaved head, receded valve springs

-stock suspension

-needs tires still on stock set

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4293292026.html

2006 Yz250f $1,500

-looks to be in similar shape

-appears to be mostly stock

-in 2009 owner had suspension set up for 200 pound rider by racetech he says he believes they switched springs he doesn't know if they changed the valveing, added fork bleeders.

-needs new rear tire

-will have to spend at least $400 to have suspension rebuilt with new springs hopefully shouldn't have to mess with the valveing of the suspension

Owner deleted post but here are a couple more pics he sent me.

What bike would you buy and why? Trying to stay near 2k( prices in add are asking prices, price i listed is what they said they will take)Could I get by using the stock springs on the rmz? I know the yz is reliable how is the rmz? Also not sure if its a good or bad thing ge moded the motor. Basically to me comes down to either buy the yz and drop money on suspension or buy the rmz and keep the stock suspension for now. Also both bikes are located 2 and a half hours from me so if I go to see in person I plan on buying unless I find something seriously wrong. Also which one would have better resal value?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391948458.496641.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391948472.182153.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391948489.599674.jpg

-

I would not worry about resale value, they are about as bottomed out as a running bike gets. Both sellers are probably full of crap on the engine mods or suspension work, since neither knows what is in there. They must think that stuff makes it more valuable.

I suggest the RM (of the two, if those are the only ones in the running), since it is newer, probably has less hours for basically the same price. That, and the steering on the Yamaha will just piss you off in the woods. It wont go where you think that you pointed it. You are also small, the Yami is tall.

Think the stock suspension will be soft enough for me with the rmz? Also guy with the yamaha doesn't know barely anything about it when I asked about suspension work he said "Bike has race tech suspension done in 09, all new fork seals its got the bleeders on the top of the forks "it's set up for 200 pounds and cleaned and re jeted carb last summer" he said they added stiffer springs.

The suspension will be just fine, i would think. Even if it is way off, turn a few of the adjusters and make it less bad. You can always learn to ride around certain issues, it will just limit your speed and/or comfort. When you have some money saved up, fix it.

The other option is wait a little longer until more bikes are for sale. You will most likely see the asking prices increase, though.

I would buy the YZF. The photos are crappy that you provided but the bike looks pretty clean. You don't have to spend $400 on suspension as anyone will trade lighter springs for your heavier ones. Heck, test them and get the rates and I will trade you for springs....

We also know the SSS suspension on the Yamaha is top of the line and the engines are known to be bulletproof....

• Like 2

Picked the yz up for $1400 seems to run good started second kick in 35 degree weather. Needs new rear tire pretty bad(might wait till after Moab to replace), levers(probly get asv), a couple nuts and bolts for plastics and one for the exhaust. Also anyone know where to get a stock head shield for the header? Other than that have a shop swap springs and do basic rebuild on suspension and will call it good for now. What weight oil should I run in this bike? Any specific brand? Here is one pic of the bike.

Thanks for the replys

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392298031.950774.jpg

Picked the yz up for $1400 seems to run good started second kick in 35 degree weather. Needs new rear tire pretty bad(might wait till after Moab to replace), levers(probly get asv), a couple nuts and bolts for plastics and one for the exhaust. Also anyone know where to get a stock head shield for the header? Other than that have a shop swap springs and do basic rebuild on suspension and will call it good for now. What weight oil should I run in this bike? Any specific brand? Here is one pic of the bike.

Thanks for the replys

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392298031.950774.jpg

Check the valves. 

I would buy the YZF. The photos are crappy that you provided but the bike looks pretty clean. You don't have to spend $400 on suspension as anyone will trade lighter springs for your heavier ones. Heck, test them and get the rates and I will trade you for springs....

We also know the SSS suspension on the Yamaha is top of the line and the engines are known to be bulletproof....

+1