Sign in to follow this  

Locking bike through frame

hey all - for those of you who lock up your DRZ...where do you put your chain/cable through the frame? I'm thinking about getting a Kryptonite Legend chain but want to be sure that it will have room to make it through the chain.

The other problem I'm facing is that the longest chain they make is 5 feet. I'm not sure that's long enough to make it through the bike and the rather large pipe that I have to lock it to. 

Well I personally don't lock my bike up as I have a personal garage but as for the length question just cut a 5 foot piece if string and see if it fits to several dif places on your bike!

Well I personally don't lock my bike up as I have a personal garage but as for the length question just cut a 5 foot piece if string and see if it fits to several dif places on your bike!

I did that, but unfortunately the string is far thinner than the big beefy chain I ordered! I think the only realistic place to fit the chain is on the lower frame, left side, just behind the foot peg. Looping it through the swing arm is probably fine but I think I'll go with the frame. 

I bought a huge lock that fit around the frame and both ends of the chain which I passed through a ground anchor. 

I'll have to look for the lock and chain and I'll get a picture of my locking setup for you. 

Remember that two of the most expensive parts of your SM and the easiest to steal are the wheels. If I had to leave mine out in a high-risk area, the neighbors would think I was a hardcore heavy-metal bondage freak.

I use a stainless cable through the frame just behind the left footpeg and the other end goes through the back wheel , that way I have at least one wheel attatched to the frame . Then the cable goes around a 4 inch square steel support post in my shed , greg

I used to use one of these , but poor o'l mate passed away last year..

german_shepherd.jpg

Now I just make sure my insurance is up to date.....

Sorry for your loss M8. :(   Better than any chain or lock. Proactive and alert protection. Loving too... :)

Extra insurance coverage is a wise choice when unable to keep it inside.

• Like 1

I keep mine locked up using the Kryptonite and the 5 foot chain,  i use their lock and have it around the frame of the bike on the bottom (made 2 holes in the skid plate for the U section to go through)

drz85.jpg

• Like 1

I keep mine locked up using the Kryptonite and the 5 foot chain,  i use their lock and have it around the frame of the bike on the bottom (made 2 holes in the skid plate for the U section to go through)

drz85.jpg

Is that your scrap metal collection in the Home Depot bucket. Looks like a bunch of copper pipes.

• Like 1

Is that your scrap metal collection in the Home Depot bucket. Looks like a bunch of copper pipes.

Yes it is  :D   Im a plumber,  copper is super expensive these days.

Yes it is  :D   Im a plumber,  copper is super expensive these days.

:lol: takes one to know one. I maintain install and remove industrial gas systems. I also use a homer pail

• Like 1

Here's why you don't steal from me or my neighborhood, here's what neighborhood watch carrys. DRZ & other toys are safe.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's a nice stainless lever gun is that a marlin or remlin?

drz85.jpg

Can you take closer pictures of how your lock works? That's the same chain I ordered. 

Can you take closer pictures of how your lock works? That's the same chain I ordered. 

Here you go...      

kryptonite.JPG

• Like 1

That's a nice stainless lever gun is that a marlin or remlin?

DR.D, it's a ROSSI 357mag/ 38, great shooter model 92, feels like a 22 when shooting 357 mag & plus ammo. I had a Winchester 44 Mae the A&E model with the Saddle ring.