Sign in to follow this  

04 rebuild kit. weisco or vertex piston

ok so im going to throw in a rebuild kit on my 04 very soon. which of these kits should i get?

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Hot-Rods-Complete-Top-Bottom-End-Kit-4Stroke

or 

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Hot-Rods-Vertex-Complete-Top-Bottom-End-Kit-4Stroke

and please dont tell me to go all oem. i have no interest in going that route

Don't be mad at me, but if you own a 2004 that's been living with OEM bottom & top end components for 10-11yrs without any issues I certainly wouldn't rule out OEM components... sorry, I just don't understand the logic there... HotRods makes fine crank's and any brand-name piston should be fine. You likely need a new cylinder, timing chain and chain auto-tensioner, too.

Edited by Eddie8v

Don't be mad at me, but if you own a 2004 that's been living with OEM bottom & top end components for 10-11yrs without any issues I certainly wouldn't rule out OEM components... sorry, I just don't understand the logic there... HotRods makes fine crank's and any brand-name piston should be fine. You likely need a new cylinder, timing chain and chain auto-tensioner, too.

i cant be sure thats its lasted 10 years on oem components.  pretty sure it has but theres really no way for me to tell right now.  the only reason im rebuilding it is bc i have no clue when or if its ever been rebuilt.  she runs fine and starts first kick.    the reason i said no oem is bc i thought it would be more expensive.  but i just checked motosport and all the parts add up to like 483 or something like that so i might actually go the all oem .  and yes i know i need a new timing chain as well.   but could you explain why i should get a new cylinder?  i was planning on just doing a quick hone if it didnt have any marks on it.  

Glad you have an open mind!

The cylinder could be old and worn beyond specification is all, have the internal bore measured (according the manual) and you'll know if you can clean it up and re-use it. I wouldn't order parts until you tear apart your motor. And I wouldn't tear your motor apart until you need to. If it runs ok, starts easily when cold and the oil filter never has debris when checked every few hours (don't need to change oil to check oil filter) you're safe to keep riding it.

Now if you know (or don't know???) it has a boatload of hours on that same piston, you might wanna replace that... being sure inspect, repair, replace the other top end components (and t-chain & tensioner) while they're on the bench. You should also be able to tell if you have a stock or aftermarket crank when doing the top end.

Edited by Eddie8v

You should never have to replace the cylinder unless it's cracked. You can just hone it, or if it's really out of spec, you can have it bored over to the next piston size. And if it's really bad, but you want the stock bore, you can put a new sleeve in

What??? Didn't they have Nikasil'd cylinders in 2004?

You should never have to replace the cylinder unless it's cracked. You can just hone it, or if it's really out of spec, you can have it bored over to the next piston size. And if it's really bad, but you want the stock bore, you can put a new sleeve in

Edited by Eddie8v

I'd have to agree here. I pretty much always rebuild my motors with OEM everything except for a Hot Rods crank kit. 

Glad you have an open mind!

The cylinder could be old and worn beyond specification is all, have the internal bore measured (according the manual) and you'll know if you can clean it up and re-use it. I wouldn't order parts until you tear apart your motor. And I wouldn't tear your motor apart until you need to. If it runs ok, starts easily when cold and the oil filter never has debris when checked every few hours (don't need to change oil to check oil filter) you're safe to keep riding it.

Now if you know (or don't know???) it has a boatload of hours on that same piston, you might wanna replace that... being sure inspect, repair, replace the other top end components (and t-chain & tensioner) while they're on the bench. You should also be able to tell if you have a stock or aftermarket crank when doing the top end.

yea my bike runs great.  but im just going to do a full rebuild just to be safe.  id rather know for a fact that i have all brand new parts in it.  thanks for the info tho

Sounds like a good plan to me. Yet another reason to buy a new cylinder. All-new is all-new!!! Braaap.

Last year when I rebuilt my 04' I went the Hot Rods Crank/Vertex Piston/Pivot Works Bearings/Forgotten the gasket kit.

Closing in a year of run time since and its been all smiles! Went together well, run well and held up well.

• Like 1