Buying newer bike thinking ktm or yamaha

So the new race season is coming in march, and want to get a newer bike to compete with. So will be selling my 05 yz125 and most likely be buying a newer 125. My top two picks is a newer yz or a ktm 150. Im leaning towards the 150 now because of the power increase keeping me competitive with the 250f's. One thing is though never owned a ktm or knew anyone that did. So a few of my concerns are will I like the suspension and frame and feel of the bike compared to my yz and the yz's newer sss forks. Second can I expect the same reliability from the ktm as I have seen from the yamaha. Lastly are the two bikes built and maintain like each other, or have inter changeable parts. For example all the bolts on my yz are either 10 or 8mm and I can keep those sockets on me when I trail ride, and keep extra bolts laying around. So try not be biased and give me facts about both brands on their most recent models probably going to be spending 4000-5500 on this. Thanks for the help 

I say get the 150. I'm fine with the suspension, haven't ridden the SSS stuff, but if you play with it you can find good settings. My 150 has been perfect, not 1 issue, and yes your 8 and 10mm sockets will work. In respect to reliabilty that's up to you, I maintain my bike and it treats me right, just like the other bikes I've owned, KTM or Yamaha...

There is little advantage of buy a new YZ 125 over your current 125. Personally, for your current 125, buy some SSS suspension, a HP 144 kit (producing over 40hp) and you will have a bike equally if not more competitive then a 150. Add to the fact you're already familiar with your YZ, you already have a YZ 250 and the parts available between the 2 are somewhat invaluable, you can't really lose.....

But if you move to orange, nothing wrong with that either but prepare to spend some good quality time setting the bike up. I wont run a KTM 2t without a stabilizer and some serious suspension time. The bikes have always felt nervous to me. The rest of the KTM is a pretty solid package with some great qualities that you can't find on your YZ and every bit as reliable.

My last bit of advice is don't expect your YZ to be a KTM and your new KTM to be your YZ. If you look at both bikes for what they are you will have no issues adapting to either bike.....

Edited by Monk

what year do you recommend for a ktm. Like is there a particular year that had problems or did a major update.

As mentioned above, YZ, 06 or newer, KTM 09 or newer. I'd stay away from the 07 and 08 KTM 144's.

The best year for the KTM would be 2011 imo...if you can find one.

Edited by poldies4

As mentioned above, YZ, 06 or newer, KTM 09 or newer. I'd stay away from the 07 and 08 KTM 144's.

The best year for the KTM would be 2011 imo...if you can find one.

Im looking at a 2010 in my area for 3800 what would be the advantage of a 2011

Im looking at a 2010 in my area for 3800 what would be the advantage of a 2011

2011 was the last year of the PDS suspension and the word is it was pretty good. HP was more than the 12 and 13 bikes, not sure about the 14. I liked the simplicity of the PDS, and was fine with its performance. I think the 2010's are pretty good too.

They almost never come up for sale around here, if there is more than 1 a year or so it's rare. People seem to hold on to them when they get them, I know I'll be keeping mine for a long time.

ya the pictures look good in the ad but I talked to the guy on the phone, and he sounds like a real sales man, or just some kid around my age who still believes in purple power bands. Any way when I go to check it out is there any thing particular I should be checking for for signs it was raced. Also Ill bring a compression tester is the spark plug easy to reach and what psi should I be looking for. Thanks for the help by the way. posted few adds first one I was looking at the other two just came on CL today

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4273090924.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4257463114.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4243346891.html

The first of those three looks the nicest, the last looks the most beat. It's hard to say from a CL pic though.

I wouldn't worry about a compression test if I were you, the bike just needs to start right up. I put a new piston in every used bike I get as soon as I get it home. 125s/150s need pistons often and you should just start off with a new one. 

What I for sure do is loosen the transmission drain plug and let a little oil out onto a paper towel. If it's really dirty or as has metal in it you'll be glad you checked.

Other than that, check the consumables like brake pads, chain/sprox, tires, etc... Grab the swingarm and check for looseness and just poke around it real well. Turn off the gas and lay it on its side and look at the case and frame rails, stuff like that.  

just talked to the guy in the second ad. He named his bottom price as 4500 seems like a great deal. Just a few concerns he has a lot of work done to it that he lists in the ad and has a shaved head for higher compression. Which Im not sure but this kind of work seems a bit much. Anyway what are your opinions of it. Thanks for all the help so far. 

just talked to the guy in the second ad. He named his bottom price as 4500 seems like a great deal. Just a few concerns he has a lot of work done to it that he lists in the ad and has a shaved head for higher compression. Which Im not sure but this kind of work seems a bit much. Anyway what are your opinions of it. Thanks for all the help so far. 

Lots of mods usually equals lots of hours. Get a cream puff instead.

he said less then 10 hour on it. Dude seems like a sales man or this could be the best CL deal 

It doesn't look like a high hour bike. As for mods, all he did was shave the head (which is a good thing and makes the bike run better on pump gas), add a pipe, and throw a jetting mod in. Nothing really special about any of that, just helps the bike run better. The graphics, swingarm, cases etc etc all look to be in excellent shape....