Athens Ga dual-sport/adventure riders

Hello everyone! First post here, been lurking for a few weeks. Just curious to see how many dual-sport/adventure riders there are around the Athens area, and how often do you all hit the trails? I'm in the market for an enduro bike.  My mind changes everyday between a wr250r, drz400, xr650. I'm not new to motorcycles its just been awhile since I've played in the dirt.  When I was 15 (I am now currently 32) I bought my first bike "The War Pony!"  a lightly used '83 Suzuki sp250 for $600. Man I loved that bike, had it for 5 years and sold it. I've had a few street bikes in between, I currently own an '07 R1, great bike but I am now a father so I think its better I slower down a little bit and sell her.  But since I sold the War Pony I've always had the itch to get another enduro bike.  Just checking with the community to see what others have for a bike and how often they get out and play.  Thanks...cant wait to meet some fellow forum brothers/sisters! Have a great day!

• 1 month later...

Hello emporer of athens,  I'm getting back into the dirt as well. I'm currently rebuilding a 2002 yz250f to be not so loud and fast and more trail friendly. I plan to explore, as much as possible, the adventures of riding our area this spring and summer so when you get up and running let me know. I have 8 yr old twin boys ( honda 50's) who may want to tag along from time to time. I'm also building a smallish dirt track on my property (Danielsville) that may help your transition back to dirt. I'm 47 (Wow that looks old when you actually type the number) so I'm not looking to dominate the trail, just have fun. Good luck in your bike search.

I will definatley hit you up when Ive got my bike.  My girlfriend has an 8 year old son as well. I have been contemplating getting him a 50cc dirtbike to get him started. I as well am not out to win any trophies.  Just want to ride and have a good time.  Thanks davartnel! I will be in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! First post here, been lurking for a few weeks. Just curious to see how many dual-sport/adventure riders there are around the Athens area, and how often do you all hit the trails? I'm in the market for an enduro bike.  My mind changes everyday between a wr250r, drz400, xr650. I'm not new to motorcycles its just been awhile since I've played in the dirt.  When I was 15 (I am now currently 32) I bought my first bike "The War Pony!"  a lightly used '83 Suzuki sp250 for $600. Man I loved that bike, had it for 5 years and sold it. I've had a few street bikes in between, I currently own an '07 R1, great bike but I am now a father so I think its better I slower down a little bit and sell her.  But since I sold the War Pony I've always had the itch to get another enduro bike.  Just checking with the community to see what others have for a bike and how often they get out and play.  Thanks...cant wait to meet some fellow forum brothers/sisters! Have a great day!

I am in Royston, about 30 miles north of Athens. I do quite a bit of DS riding, Let me know when you Athens blokes want to head this way.

I am in Royston, about 30 miles north of Athens. I do quite a bit of DS riding, Let me know when you Athens blokes want to head this way.

I am still hunting for a bike.  But when I get it I will let you know.  What bike do you all ride?  I have my eye on 2 '07 drz's one is an S and the other is an SM.  The S comes with SM wheels as well as the factory trail tires.  And the SM comes with D606's as well as the factory SM wheels.  Which would be better to buy? I plan on commuting to work and hitting up the trails when I get some free time.

I currently have a XRL for DS riding. Both of those DRZ's sound good as far as the extras. Service records and condition may tip the scales though. I have a shop in Royston that specializes in Dual Sport and Dirt Bikes. I will let you know if we get a DS in. Feel free to contact me if I can help you out before or after your purchase.

I currently have a XRL for DS riding. Both of those DRZ's sound good as far as the extras. Service records and condition may tip the scales though. I have a shop in Royston that specializes in Dual Sport and Dirt Bikes. I will let you know if we get a DS in. Feel free to contact me if I can help you out before or after your purchase.

Thanks man I appreciate it. I am also considering an XRL. I just need to take both models for a ride and see which one appeals to me the most.