Sign in to follow this  

Drz bent frame!

I have a slightly bent drz 400 s y 2000 (passed mot just).

The damage is at the head stock and I dont think it is repairable, the front wheel is pushed towards the frame and a little to the left when on the bike.

I compensated by adjusting the rear wheel snail cams but the front wheel touches the down pipe when forks are close to full compression and the offset rear wheel is causing the rear sprocket to be damaged by the chain.

I am thinking that a frame swap is the only solution.

I found a 2008 sm frame with v5 will it fit?

Is it legal in the uk to swap a frame?

Even to different model?

Will everything fit?

I got the bike cheep but I am still £1100 down now its back on the road and I dont feel right selling it on.

If anyone has a good legal frame for sale PM me.

Thanks

Edited by alienargg

In theory steel frames can be bent back to the right shape if the damage is small.

I would change the frame and not ride the bike at all before solving the issue.

The rear wheel solution sounds like a bad idea.

The nearest garage that straightens bike frames 'properly' is a thousand miles round trip and with the oil tank in the frame is bound to make bending it back risky.

Surprisingly it rides ok even at speed and in the mud would never notice there is a problem, but braking hard makes the wheel rub the down pipe :-(

Mate, you have to fix this bike.

It doesn't matter if it feels OK. Maybe it feels OK because you want it to feel OK.

Even the fact that the rake has changed so drastically makes a bike with an allready quick steering from the factory dangerous.

Not to mention that it is not straight....

Edited by e_scourboutis
  • Like 1

Thats why i am asking the questions in the first post so I can find out if replacing the frame is an option. I want to fix the bike, and dont worry mum I have only ridden it a handful of times on quiet country roads and forestry roads to test everything else is now fixed. So thanks for the concern but I have been riding for nearly 20 years before a recent break of about 5 (for no good reason, not even injury) and I'm not dead yet despite some pretty old knackered bikes doing their best.

Kick stand spring coming loose on a tzr was the scariest incident launching the back wheel in the air as I lent into a bend in some twisties. The chain snapping and tying up the back wheel while in the fast lane overtaking on the same bike is a close second. Neither resulted in a spill of anything other than urine.

But this is off topic look at the first post people and help if you can.

If you use the SM frame it is classed as a different bike... I'm sure it's perfectly legal as long as you update the engine number on the V5 logbook and let the insurer know that you are running the S model engine and wheels.

You will have to give proof of change of engine number to the DVLA which is just sending the logbook off with a photo of the engine number plate and it fitted to the SM frame you are registering in your name.

With the frame you will also take on the Registration number, in your case an 08 plate, and SORN or scrap your old V5 logbook and registration.

The 08 frame on ebay ended mysteriously 4 days early with no bids so will keep looking but thanks for the tip about dvla.

Any advice on frames stolen/recovered? Can they be re registered?

...dont worry mum....

:lol:

If you find a DRZ being parted out due to a blown motor check if you can also get their forks. The 2000S forks are damper rod forks whereas 2002 and latter forks are cartridge type.

To the best of my knowledge everything should bolt on.

E models have a shorter subframe.

Stolen/recovered should be ok as long as they're not an insurance write off.

You will have to check the category of write off if it has. Certain categories are ok to put back on the road but again the dvla and insurer will need to be informed as necessary

The current frame was an insurance writeoff but that was 7+years ago and it still does not show on hpi checks (I did a cheep one and an expensive one). Insurance companies have 9 years before they have to log the claim!!!

The current frame was an insurance writeoff but that was 7+years ago and it still does not show on hpi checks (I did a cheep one and an expensive one). Insurance companies have 9 years before they have to log the claim!!!

Well I'm glad the system is working as it should... lol

The VIN numbers follow the frame. If you buy a frame the E/S/SM from most any year should fit fine. It is the base platform of all three models. Just make sure the frame comes with a clean title and you will have less trouble with proper regs and registration. As stated the E has a different "sub frame". It is not welded to the "main" frame. Of course if you have the opportunity to get the correct model and year replacement jump on it.

So thats all my questions answered I guess, many thanks for the help and if anyone has a straight drz frame any year with a valid v5 please get in touch. (uk only I dont want to have to do the import paper nightmare if I can avoid it!)

So thats all my questions answered I guess, many thanks for the help and if anyone has a straight drz frame any year with a valid v5 please get in touch. (uk only I dont want to have to do the import paper nightmare if I can avoid it!)

before you buy, or start to consider a frame swap, have the VIN in hand and ask your insurance to run it for you. the VIN should match the seller's name, with no liens against it, and a TITLE should also match that frame, and come with it. 

no title, no sale

wrong name on title, no sale

keep in mind you can end up owing back taxes (however your country does it) on the 'new' frame that are significant. 

run the VIN. ;-) 

• Like 1

Or just buy an E frame or a bill of sale only frame and stamp your VIN into it, cheapest way to get this done.

Or just buy an E frame or a bill of sale only frame and stamp your VIN into it, cheapest way to get this done.

Well he is not in the US, so no idea if such a thing is possible there.. IN the US, it is not, and a federal violation to alter the VIN, and a state violation in several I know of. 

So to the OP, you already said you dont want to import a US frame.... if you can just swap a frame and "change the vin" ok.. but seems you would more likely have to do more than that.

Looks like I need a frame with existing and legal vin/frame number and documents , then swop everything else over and scrap/deregister the bent bit thats left.

Only problem is finding a legal frame before it goes to scrap. All I have found so far are stolen frames with the numbers ground off.

Shady goods on ebay?

Looks like I need a frame with existing and legal vin/frame number and documents , then swop everything else over and scrap/deregister the bent bit thats left.

Only problem is finding a legal frame before it goes to scrap. All I have found so far are stolen frames with the numbers ground off.

Shady goods on ebay?

Where your at.. do shops do the insurance  estimates? or just insurance adjusters?   If Shops do them ...perhaps make the rounds at local shops and   see if they can provide a lead to a DRZ that was wrecked

Well he is not in the US, so no idea if such a thing is possible there.. IN the US, it is not, and a federal violation to alter the VIN, and a state violation in several I know of. 

So to the OP, you already said you dont want to import a US frame.... if you can just swap a frame and "change the vin" ok.. but seems you would more likely have to do more than that.

anyone can alter a vin, change frames, 'modify' it to their hearts content. scratch the VIN on the bike with a sharpie if you want. the dmv will want a bond or something silly before they'll put a stamp of approval on it, but it's really not a big deal. 

anyone can alter a vin, change frames, 'modify' it to their hearts content. scratch the VIN on the bike with a sharpie if you want. the dmv will want a bond or something silly before they'll put a stamp of approval on it, but it's really not a big deal. 

OK..  :thumbsup:

Title 9 > Criminal Resource Manual 1364

Altering or Removing Motor Vehicle Identification Numbers Section 511(a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part.