Sign in to follow this  

KTM EXC 125 complete powervalve removal

Hi, I'm in the process of tearing down the engine on my KTM to do an engine rebuild. Since my cylinder is worn, I'm gonna have to replate it. The company that does the replating require that I completely remove my powervalve. I've removed everything but three studs which I can't seem to remove. Anybody got any advice on removing these studs? I'll include a picture so you guys can judge for yourselves. 

powervalvektm_zpsb46fb64a.png

I'm not 100% sure if they need to be removed, but on their website they say that the cylinder must be completely stripped of all excess parts (including all studs). I'll call them to see if they can make an exception. Another question; When assembling the powervalve, which lubricant should I use? Is pre-mix oil sufficient?

I'm not 100% sure if they need to be removed, but on their website they say that the cylinder must be completely stripped of all excess parts (including all studs). I'll call them to see if they can make an exception. Another question; When assembling the powervalve, which lubricant should I use? Is pre-mix oil sufficient?

I think the studs will be fine to be left in. When lubricting the powervalve assembly I used actual grease, the repair manual states to "grease them" it does not say to use oil.

What year is your 125? My 200 was is an 01 and it had some wear on the powervalve plate where it rides on the guides that are on those studs. Turns out the newer models had larger guide rollers that were less prone to wear. 

Thanks, then I'll use some assembly grease for the powervalve. 

My 125 is a '06. The powervalve plate looks to be in good shape, although the bike has got over 10k miles on its back. I won't replace anything in the powervalve mechanism, as it looks to be in spec, it just needs a proper clean and some grease. 

• Like 1

Ya leave those studs in, I'm not sure you can remove them anyway. Like squid said use a little bit of grease or premix on all the moving parts in the pv.

Thanks, guys. I have now sent the cylinder on its way to the company thats going to do the replating. They said they could take care of the studs, so thats not a problem anymore. Hopefully getting my cylinder back in a little less than a month :)

Edited by supermegamartin

Nice.

As an aside to the greasing subject... I'd oil the PV itself and grease the cogs in the mech.

I greased the PV tongue and had to disassemble and re-clean (lucky I had spare gaskets) as it locked up when the heat fried the grease.

I really appreciate the advice. I haven't messed around too much with the PV before, so input from someone who has is great. I'll grease the cogs with some high-temperature grease I have laying around.