Sign in to follow this  

Race gas

Do you guys mix race gas in with your normal gas. I was at a Yamaha test event and the rep recommended doing it with a stock bike. I think he recommended 1 gallon of race gas with 5 gallons of regular gas. Does this sound right? What type of race gas would you recommend?

Yes - gas quality is not reliable out of the pump and bad gas can take the plating off of your cylinder.  I run 50% race gas but I would probably be ok with 30% race gas.  Plus it will give you consistent getting.

Yes they need some race gas...I use 110 leaded from the pump.

You can detune for pump gas

I mix at a 1to3 ratio of VP C12 and 91 octane non-ethanol pump gas,  

gives about a 95 octane number.

if you fix the crappy stock head squish you can run pump and it would run better than a stock head with the blended pump/race

Problem isnt fuel, its the head and the stock timing

• Like 1

An important thing to getting a handle on fuel is to not use any ethanol blends if you can help it.  I know in some states, that's not so easy.  Again, I feel SO lucky.  My YZ is totally happy  with 91 or 92 pump premium non-ethanol.  I haven't messed with the squish or timing and I don't think the PO was smart enough to do it.  I've even tried to make it ping or knock and haven't heard anything yet.